PDA

View Full Version : HTM-200 compared to CMT340,

Ben_Wood
10-31-2003, 03:14 AM
Hi Bob, and welcome to our forum! I had an HTM-200 as my original center and while I feel that it is a good surround speaker, it left a little to be desired as a center. I upgraded to the CMT-340c as soon as it was available. I've found that the "dedicated center" design of the 340 gives it a larger "sweet spot", a more dispersed , wide-spread soundfield. The center channel is so important in home theater that you should go with the best speaker available. The modest additional cost of the 340 over the 200 is money well spent in my opinion.

Bob
11-06-2003, 08:35 PM
I finally got HTMs and hooked up to make a 5 channel system.
Regarding center channel, I realized that I may need something more than this. Though I adjusted it 10 dB louder than others in receiver it still needs bigger voice. I watched Matrix Reloded but busy to adjust volume all the while(between narration and effects). I don't think something is wrong in my setting but it may be personal prefernce.

So I mailed David and asked if I can exchange that to CMT340s. I think 87dB vs. 92dB will make some differnces.

Bob
11-20-2003, 09:12 PM
I receiced CMT-340c several day ago and have enjoyed the bass in music-fantastic in my 5 channel stereo. But in movie, as a center channel, though it is better than HTM-200 I still need to hold my romote to adjust volume between dialogue and explosion. What it means is that the dialogue is not so much clear and crispy and loud as I expected. Is this the limit of CMT-340? In AVSforum, I read some threads about this kind of problem and actually found no solution except changing to differnt medel-due to defects or whatever.
Does anybody in this forum have this kind of problem and any solution?

BradJudy
11-20-2003, 10:07 PM
Is this your first full home theater sound system? I learned with my first one that the dynamic range in movies was greater than I thought. Explosions and other effects are made to be very loud in theaters, so they are also very loud on a home theater. I found that when the volume was adjusted so that the quieter times (dialogue) were at an appropriate level, the loud times (action sequences) were louder than I would listen to music. It takes a bit of getting used to after coming from a very basic setup or no home theater.

mattepntr
11-21-2003, 01:44 AM
Brad's right, the same full-range soundtrack you hear in a movie
theater is what's been recorded decibel for decibel onto a DVD.
And that can be pretty overwhelming when you first experience
it in your living room. If your receiver has a "midnight mode"
(check the instructions) you might try using it as you get used
to the whole thing. I wouldn't describe what you're experiencing
as a problem, it's what people invest major $$$ to wind up with
in their home systems!

Rick

Bob
11-21-2003, 01:56 AM
Thanks guys for your quick responses. Yes, it is my first HT and I realized that it can be a characteristic of my receiver which is not a quality product(Yamaha rxv530). But anyway it is O.K. because I use them mostly for music listening(80%) and I cannot be more satisfied for it.

curtis
11-21-2003, 03:07 AM
One thing too is placement of the speaker. Make sure front of the speaker is not behind the front of the TV....it should at least be flush.

-curtis