PDA

View Full Version : the cost of speakers

curtis
10-30-2003, 01:41 AM
I can tell you the drivers and crossover are apparently of a higher quality of the competitors. Is that the answer you are looking for?

Or do you want to know how much Ascend is making off of a sale of a speaker?

-curtis

frank
10-30-2003, 05:22 AM
yes curtis how much is ascend making off the sale of their speakers

curtis
10-30-2003, 06:17 AM
LOL! I really do not have a clue. I'm sure if someone did enough research and was knowledgeable enough, you could figure out a ballpark number for the cost. Compared to what is out there, the speaker are inexepensive and sound so much better, why bother? But I honestly believe, it is less than the competition.

Remember, the CBM-170 used to sell for $40 more a pair than they do now (and they sold well), and Ascend used to offer specials. Instead of offering the specials, they just lowered the price overall...but no more specials. And the price of the CMT-340 was at one time called(maybe still is) an introductory price.

Who knows, they might change their business model to the way it was and up the prices. If so, the speaker would still cost considerably less than speakers they can compete with.

-curtis

nhan070
10-30-2003, 06:26 AM
Why would you want to know? Out of curiosity? I'm sure the answer will not be provided since it is a private business matter. Every company is in business to make money. How much of a percentage the business makes is their business.

If you are concern whether the consumer are we being ripped off? Then that would be up to the consumer to determine. I say we are not since Ascend products are quality items IMHO.

I consider **** products as rip-off. Just MHO anyways. I gotta stop this **** bashing...

Quinn
11-01-2003, 02:27 PM
I toyed with trying some diy clone of the 170s and figured out that parts for the 170 would run about the same or more than buying them if you get pre-built cabinets. Going by madisound.com the drivers and tweeters alone for one pair of speakers would run about $200 before shipping. Then you would need crossovers and cabinets.

I have no idea what the parts purchased in bulk cost Ascend. Obivously madisound has to have a mark up to make a profit.

RandyK
11-01-2003, 03:40 PM
Yeah, I priced the CBM-170s out too as a DIY project a while back during the 30-day trial period. The woofer used is custom for Ascend but a similar Audax model was like $55 or $60 if I remember. The pricing I came up with was around $200 for the pair without crossovers or the cabinets. Assuming ascend pays 1/2 the typical retail price for similar parts, that is $100 for the drivers. You have to figure at least $20 for each cabinet and $10 for each crossover (ascends pricing). That brings their cost to about $160 for parts, add packaging, labor, transportion costs and other misc costs, a pair of 170s must cost ascend at least somewhere around the $200 range. Certainly not much profit on selling a pair. I think they rely on a low overhead business and higher volumes.

-R