PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard CBM-170s and Polk LSi7s?

rnp614
06-07-2005, 10:34 PM
I'm just wondering how these two speakers compare. Right now 7s on the used market are about the same as 170s new. Has anyone heard both and able to give me a take on what they thought?

Thanks,
Raj

tamuct
06-08-2005, 07:59 AM
In the next month or so I plan to audition a set of Ascends (340s for LCR, 170s for rear) against Polk's RTi8, CSi3, and RTi4. This combo from Polk is about the same price as the Ascend package, and the Polks are readily available from my neighborhood Fry's. I have a feeling that I will like the Ascends better, but my wife certainly likes the cherry finish of the Polks better. I'll post my experience in the coming weeks.

MikeQ
06-08-2005, 09:02 AM
I have heard them against both...

The 170's were better than the R's and about the same as the L's

I am not even close to knowing what I am talking about but I took them into a local Tweeter store and they let me demo next to each of the polk offerings.

I liked them the same as the higher priced Polks and better than the same priced offering....

The sales guy who has been trying to sell me the Polks even said...that is a no brainer....only knock he had was looks.

Lee Bailey
06-08-2005, 11:06 AM
The only reason you look at your Ascends is when you can't believe the sound that's coming out of them. To me, speakers are not furniture. WAF sometimes has to take a back seat to function. They'll get over it, or maybe you'll get your way with a dedicated sound room (even if it is a converted garage area!). :cool:

shane55
06-08-2005, 11:14 AM
The only reason you look at your Ascends is when you can't believe the sound that's coming out of them. To me, speakers are not furniture. WAF sometimes has to take a back seat to function. They'll get over it, or maybe you'll get your way with a dedicated sound room (even if it is a converted garage area!). :cool:

Agreed... I actually just said something like this on the AVS forum. While I actually prefer the looks of the Ascends to many other brands, looks is 'one' of the last things I consider. I'm not looking at the speakers, I'm listening to them. I want them to disappear in *every* way.

The Ascends do that in spades. In this household the simple black cabinet is 100% WAF approved. :D

cheers

shane

Eddie
06-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Never listened to the LSi series, but he RTi4s that I heard at Fry's were horrible, and they were driven by an HK7300 --- quickly distorted at high volumes, and very little midrange. The RTi8s were better but a good bit more expensive and still far short of the 340s.

bikeman
06-08-2005, 12:10 PM
Agreed... I actually just said something like this on the AVS forum. While I actually prefer the looks of the Ascends to many other brands, looks is 'one' of the last things I consider. I'm not looking at the speakers, I'm listening to them. I want them to disappear in *every* way.

The Ascends do that in spades. In this household the simple black cabinet is 100% WAF approved. :D

shane

The best sounding speakers in the world weren't going to go into SWMBO's livingroom (our home theatre) if they detracted from her sense of decor. The 340's were my first choice acoutically and were the only speakers that she felt didn't substantially detract from the rest of the room. Black was the right color and the 340 were the right size. I lucked out.
Who you callin PW'ed? :confused: :o

David

Lee Bailey
06-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Who you callin PW'ed? :confused: :o

David

Hey, if you have to ask........... :D

curtis
06-09-2005, 07:59 AM
I don't think it has been mentioned, but I believe the LSi7 is a 4 ohm speaker.

Lee Bailey
06-09-2005, 12:04 PM
I don't think it has been mentioned, but I believe the LSi7 is a 4 ohm speaker.

That's true, and it also uses a completely different type of tweeter, a Vifa ring radiator design.