PDA

View Full Version : Your experience with 6.1 or better?

azanon
06-06-2005, 06:33 PM
I was thinking of what i want to do next. As some of you know, i currently have a 5.1 Ascend/HSU setup. I was noticing I have a cozy spot on my back center wall for an extra HTM-200. So, i was wondering what some of you guys thought about a past upgrade from 5.1 to 6.1 (or better). I use my system for about 75% HT/ 25% music, so movies, esp DVD movies, are a mainstay in my home.

So does it help much of anything or are you shocked when you notice some unique sound out of the back. Also, on just 5.1 material, will the movie just output to my normal surrounds and just not use the back, or will the back speaker be used and my 2 side surrounds be ignored?

Just FYI, a 7.1 setup just isnt an option for me because my HT is in a retangular room and it is setup on one half of the "U" but facing the longer lengthed wall. So, on one side of my setup, I have just open space and no where to mount a side speaker. A tall stand to remedy this would not pass minimum WAF requirements.

curtis
06-06-2005, 10:55 PM
In my experience, if you have a well set up 5.1 system, it gives up very little to 6.1 or 7.1. Maybe more to gain in a larger room, but small to medium size roooms, the gain is minimal.

The reason people go with 7.1 over 6.1 is because sound from single rear speaker in a 6.1 setup, sometimes sound like they are coming from the front due to psychoacoustics, reflections, and how we hear. Going to two speakers in the rear changes that.

azanon
06-07-2005, 08:39 AM
Well, i'd definitely go 7.1 if my room allowed for it. My room is on the large side (about 2800 square feet) but since im sort of in one corner of the room, i cant really say i'm using all of it.

I'm sort of surprised DD Ex still isnt being used that much in the theatre despite having been out a few years now. Without seeing real numbers it looks like its about 20 to 1 (movies without EX vs with EX).

Guess i'll just put all my $ into a better receiver next. I still dont think it matters that much, but a nice receiver would be fun to play around with.

jermy4
06-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Guess i'll just put all my $ into a better receiver next. I still dont think it matters that much, but a nice receiver would be fun to play around with.If you're looking for a significant upgrade you should consider room treatments.

mattepntr
06-08-2005, 06:14 AM
Azanon,
Your room is 2800 square feet???

God, that's bigger than my whole (4 bedroom) house!:-)

Rick

BGHD
06-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Maybe he meant 2800 cub ft?

shane55
06-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Maybe he meant 2800 cub ft?

Yeah, well... that's bigger than my whole house too. :(

:D