PDA

View Full Version : What/Who is your favorite group/singer?

WamiMan
10-29-2003, 10:20 PM
My personal favorite is U2. Incidentally, their Elevation tour DVD looks very nice on my big screen.

Liked Van Halen in my high school years, but its been a while since they have produced anything worth listening to.

Chris

Ben_Wood
10-30-2003, 10:43 AM
I guess that I'm just getting old, but I find myself mostly buying older releases on cd that I had on lp years ago. WamiMan, I too enjoy U2 and found Elevation to be a most worthwhile effort. Van Halen, well those guys need to find some way to get get along with each other!

SomeDood
11-30-2003, 03:46 PM
My favorite right now has got to be Blind Guardian. They're a power metal band that creates a unique atmosphere using an amazing lead guitarist, not to mention a great singer and a choir to back him up. In their cd "Nightfall In Middle Earth" these talented artist actually recreate a novel writen by tolken (spelling?) in which alot of the songs have a medival sound to them. If you even have the slightest interest in metal, middle earth or just great talent, check them out. If you download music, download these two songs to get a taste of them - " Into The Storm" and "Nightfall".

Fastfwd
12-13-2003, 10:30 AM
Fiona Apple

Bighitter
12-14-2003, 12:16 AM
I am really liking Gavin DeGraw's CD right now. He has a sound very similiar to early Springstein or Billy Joel.

Budman
12-14-2003, 05:05 AM
Don't really have an all-time favorite music selection but will listen to just about anything by The Who, Glenn Miller or Dave Matthews Band.

azanon
12-22-2003, 04:05 AM
So far my favorite CD to test out my new Ascends is Josh Groban, Closer album. Man that guy has some pipes, and you can hear Josh taking breaths on the CBM-340/170s. It will be the first disk I pop in to show off my system to my parents.

pegleg
01-02-2004, 02:03 AM
I'm also old. I really like Manhattan Transfer, but for this Christmas, Take 6's "He is Christmas", on the 170s and VTF-2 sub, was just fantastic.

I'm still ecstatic with these speakers, and boosting the volume a bit does wonders for DVDs (Jeepers Creepers 2 last night).

Pegleg

EngenZerO
01-02-2004, 05:04 AM
Linkin Park

[he_who_dares_wins] - sas

Richie
02-03-2004, 07:17 AM
Am i the only one that loves the Beatles??

JohnnyCasaba
02-03-2004, 10:13 AM
No, I am a big Beatles fan, also a big Yes fan.

Ben_Wood
02-03-2004, 10:33 AM
JohnnyCasba, glad to find out theres another Yes fan here! I really think that if I was limited to listening to one group the rest of my life, that group would be Yes and I'd die a happy man! Their music is so varied and catalog so vast that I'm never bored with Yes.

JohnnyCasaba
02-03-2004, 03:50 PM
Hey Ben,

I must admit, I have not kept up with their more recent stuff, but I did finally get to see them live 2 years ago. I was amazed how good they sounded. They were also on Craig Kilborn's show last week, I think they have a new DVD and or CD out.

Ben_Wood
02-03-2004, 10:04 PM
Johnny,
Yes just released a new documentary on dvd entitled "Yesspeak". Although there are some interesting stories and information on this dvd, most fans were hoping for another release that was more concert footage. I recommend most highly their "Symphonic Live" dvd. Johnny, if you have not seen and listened to this dvd you're missing out on what many Yes fans consider the "ultimate" recording from the group. The video is fantastic, the audio is crystal-clear (thanks to dts!), and the boys were definitely "in the zone" for this show. My favorite cut from the dvd is "In the Presence Of", from their last studio album "Magnification". However many of the older classics are also performed with backing from an orchestra. It is my favorite dvd, bar none! [:D]

JohnnyCasaba
02-05-2004, 08:18 AM
Ben,

Thanks for the info on the new DVD release, will pass on it and look at the other one you mentioned.

Ben_Wood
02-06-2004, 06:58 AM
Johnny, please post your opinion on the "Symphonic Yes" dvd if you get to watch/listen to it.

X52
02-07-2004, 02:27 AM
I really enjoy Maroon Five's album "Songs About Jane" but when I really want to hear my system shine I put in Andrea Bocelli and other vocals like, Jamie Cullum, Ella Fitchgerald, Harry Conick Jr., Louis Armastrong, and Eva Casidy. They really shuts me up.

JH

Ben_Wood
03-10-2004, 10:07 AM
Another one of my favorite groups is Collective Soul, sad to say that they've disbanded. [:(]

Larry.H
03-10-2004, 11:09 AM
pink floyd

Gregisme
03-11-2004, 02:24 AM
X52 - Have you heard that early live release of Eva Cassidy's? I've heard good things about that one, and have been meaning to check out some of her stuff in general. I was just listening to Ella Fitzgeralds 'Best of the Songbooks' cd recently, and really enjoyed many of those songs. I'm amused by the one criticism of her in that she sounds almost happy even when she is singing the saddest of songs. It's true, she does!

Larry.H - Picked up the Pompeii DVD a couple months ago, and have played it about a half dozen times already, and I wouldn't normally consider myself the biggest of fans. Prior to this, I had only a passing familiarity with their 'Mettle' era stuff, paying attention mostly to their 'DSOTM' thru 'The Wall' era. I need to check out the Syd Barrett stuff too, though I realize that'll be different as well.

curtis
03-11-2004, 02:33 AM
Eva Cassidy's voice sounds great on the Ascends! [:D]

-curtis

Larry.H
03-11-2004, 03:18 AM
greg
My all time fav. album is The Wall,but i also have to give props to the newer music also--very good

Gregisme
03-11-2004, 03:51 AM
Polly Jean Harvey does it for me. Words can't express how amazing of an artist I think she is. Passionate, dark, mysterious, funny, versatile and vocally inventive. It's become amusing to see the number of musicians who trip over themselves to sing her praises and request to have her collaborate on their records.

Also, of late, Neko Case. Picture a very modern age woman, dabbling in the realm of alt-rock/country with a powerful voice channeling the ghost of Patsy Cline.

I've also been into Roxy Music again lately. Such a brilliant band that never really got their due here in the USA. Download 'In Every Dream Home a Heartache' from the For Your Pleasure album. Wow.

Gregisme
03-11-2004, 03:59 AM
oh, and Larry.. have you heard about the David Gilmour DVD? I guess it's been out for a while now, I'm not exactly sure, but I've heard that's good too. A little more acoustic in nature, but getting lots of positive reviews on Amazon.com, even from people who wouldn't normally be into that kind of stuff.

Gregisme
03-11-2004, 04:28 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by curtis

Eva Cassidy's voice sounds great on the Ascends! [:D]

-curtis

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

yea Curtis, I know. I know. I'll be getting a pair of Ascends 'one of these days'*

* a pun for Floyd fans. [:D]

Larry.H
03-11-2004, 05:02 AM
thx greg ill have to go look up roxy dont know if i ever heard them or not

Gregisme
03-12-2004, 01:57 AM
Larry.H - About Roxy, you may have heard their popular song from the 70's, 'Love is the Drug'. Maybe their next biggest song here was 'More Than This', which got a second life, becoming a minor hit when 10,000 Maniacs covered it a few years ago.

Brian Eno was an early member, but left as he had own ideas to explore, essentially pioneering ambient music as well as producing other artists, U2 among them.

The band featured a powerful drummer, a fiery guitarist, and the world-weary love songs of Bryan Ferry, who presented himself as this slick lounge singer, singing mostly tales of romantic disappointment. The song I mentioned in my previous post is about a guy who has all the finer things in life, but remains lonely, ordering an inflatable doll for *cough* company. [:I]

It's creepy and sad, and maybe a commentary on the isolating nature of modern culture.

Their last album, 'Avalon', has gotten rave reviews for the SACD re-release, second only to Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon' for sonic quality.

Larry.H
03-12-2004, 08:11 AM
lmao i dont have a sacd or dvda player(yet) but i will sure go and find the music and give it a listen

curtis
03-12-2004, 09:28 AM
Wait second....Roxy Music's Avalon is available in SACD? I got to get it!

-curtis

Dave Nelms
04-19-2004, 11:09 AM
My favorite group seems to depend on my mood....

In High school and college it was Yes and the Who. For a while ther it was anything by Clapton and John Lee Hooker.

Currently I am on Led Zepelin. The new DVD is great as well as the DVD-Audio relese of there live shows from Long Beach and LA.

Dave Nelms

Sigma B
04-19-2004, 02:06 PM
Lately I've found myself captivated by "The Bad Plus"....

Hands down my favorite bands are Guns N' Roses, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and a few others!

stroms
04-20-2004, 12:00 AM
I have few bands that literally give me goose bumps when I see them live in concert. The bands that can make you feel their music and at times think and feel "there is nothing better than this"! Here are some of my favorites:
- Phish
(Right now i do not think they are playing their best
But, that is for another forum)
- moe.
- Umphreys Mcgee
(These guys are no joke! They can play any style of music.
If you ever get a chance check thier DVD out "Live from the
Lake Coast" HOT!
It has a DTS 5.1 mix too!! Sounds great!
I think they are tourin the west coast right now too. For
you California inhabitants).

Eddie Horton
07-30-2004, 05:28 AM
Gotta go with Jane's Addiction. Most folks that are into "Alternative" think that everything started with Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, but JA were doing things in the late 80's that no one else was.

curtis
07-30-2004, 07:52 AM
Although not my favorites, I am going to hear Alanis Morrisette and the Bare Naked Ladies tonight at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles. I like their music...it will be fun!

-curtis

Eddie Horton
07-30-2004, 08:20 AM
You'll enjoy the Bare Naked Ladies whether you're a big fan or not. They put on a terrific live show. Really upbeat, fun, and sometimes with some unlikely cover songs.

curtis
07-31-2004, 01:56 AM
The show last night was fantastic.....both BNL and Alanis. I will make an effort to see them both when they are in town again.

Eddie...you were dead right about BNL!

-curtis

metalaaron
08-01-2004, 12:44 AM
i was a big MetallicA head for years. i still like their music and enjoy picking out the riffs on my guitar. IMHO the best heavy metal band of all time. you have to see them live to really appreciate it.

now, years later, my favorite band has to be Dave Matthews. i've gotten into acoustic guitar over the years and i simply love the arrangements, vocals, and synergy of the band. a modern day fleetwood mac if you will.
eric clapton is also a favorite of mine. i still think he's a god. ;)

the list goes on and on...

Ben_Wood
08-08-2004, 09:41 AM
One of my favorite groups, who I thought had disbanded Collective Soul is rumoured to have a new album coming out this fall tentatively entitled "Youth"! Life is good!

BillS
08-09-2004, 06:53 AM
Any DVD-A title (I own several) sounds awesome on the Ascends/HSU combo.

Bill

Greetings from Central Florida!

canali
08-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Diana Krall (she has some inclusive DVD concert
at the blue note (?))...great intimate
little venue so the acoustics are SO lovely.

Rush in Rio: just seeing Neil Peart slap those
skins is a rush (pun intended) but the mixing
isn't the best.

AC/DC Live at Donington...ass kicker big time....and a
pretty well recorded gig, too.

Diana Krall Live in Paris...another well recorded
venue.

One thing I've found: you can have THE best speakers/CD
player, amp (ETC) but if the recording/mixing of the particular
piece you're listening to is not very good to begin with, then so too will be what your system conveys...it can only do so much with lousy
information, afterall.

Cheers
Joe

canali
08-09-2004, 12:19 PM
sorry, i meant nora jones at the bluenote
(DOH!)

macebanyon
08-10-2004, 02:15 AM
Allman Brothers, and go figure, Gov't Mule.
Also Porcupine Tree and I can't seem to get Zak Wyldes "Hangover Music" out of my CD player.