PDA

View Full Version : War of The Worlds

metalaaron
06-06-2005, 08:25 AM
http://www.waroftheworlds.com/

I absolutely can not wait to see this one. I haven't been this excited about a release since LOTR.

June 29th is almost here. :cool:

bri1270
06-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Actually, one of the few, and I mean very few, re-makes that I am really looking forward to. This one looks good.

mattepntr
07-02-2005, 08:57 AM
I've seen it. Twice.

It's scary as hell. Don't bring the kids.

Rick

Lee Bailey
07-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Yeah, this movie was not made for the 6 and under crowd. Not that a lot of parents seem to care and bring the kids anyways.

GaryB
07-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Went to see this one last night... the first time I've been to a theater since setting up my home system. The theater isn't one of the newer ones in town, offering non-THX "digital sound" (only 2 of the 10 screens in town currently showing this flick have the THX version, even though I'd bet at least 5 have the capability).

I should've checked the listings before my wife bought the tickets - the sound wasn't even close to my relatively modest home system, despite being at least 3-6 dB louder than we usually listen. The theater sound was metallic and abrasive, yet with poorer dialogue intelligibility than my home system. There also seemed to be little truly deep bass, although I'm sure there's no lack of it on the soundtrack. With all the other well-known reasons for being reluctant to go out to see a movie, I can now add the likelihood of poor sound, now that I experience better on a daily basis...

Regarding the movie itself, it's hard to say I enjoyed it. Words like relentless, grim, exhausting come to mind. Some of the special effects are impressive, and there's much less jingoistic corn than in, say, Independence Day, but there are numerous logical inconsistencies (not really Spielberg's fault) and the ending is a bit of a let-down. As someone who's seen the rather good-for-its-time 1953 original on TV several times, it was interesting to see several familiar scenes updated.

Just don't expect to leave the theater "uplifted".

7/10

metalaaron
07-04-2005, 11:55 AM
the preview for King Kong (http://www.kingkongmovie.com/) looked really cool.

i enjoyed it. agree with child warning. i would say that it is worth the matinee price. the special effects were very good. the plot was developed pretty well. i guess nothing could match the radio transmission (http://www.war-ofthe-worlds.co.uk/radio.htm) of this one - proof that you should always read your summer reading lists. ;) still, i will admit that i was a bit let down from my initial excitement.

tom cruise and tim robbins. why not cast sean penn as well? i was surprised that brooke shields didn't come out of one of the machines. the movie would have ended differently if they had taken their vitamins and exercised. ;)

7/10

mattepntr
09-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Bump.

This one hits DVD on November 22. Can't wait!:eek:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000BD88YQ/qid=1127786381/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-7963858-5881614?v=glance&s=dvd

X52
10-30-2005, 08:29 PM
Nov. 22nd will be a good day!

BGHD
11-23-2005, 03:44 PM
Supposedly getting rave reviews for sound/bass in AVS. Sounds like it might be a good keeper for demos. Too bad the movie/story apparently stinks. Have never seen it myself, but might get it just for the LFE tracks.

mattepntr
11-23-2005, 04:37 PM
For those of you who have only heard negative things, let me
just say I think you are in for one hell of a surprise. This movie
is a nail-biter, with some of the most terrifying scenes since "Jaws".
I felt wrung out and exhausted by the end.
Great sound design, John Williams score, and Oscar-worthy visual
effects.

And the DTS track on the DVD seems to be the favorite. I watched it
last night at my sister's. Objects were shaking in her house she didn't
even know she had. Even the lights flickered. It was AWESOME.:p

jojo
11-24-2005, 04:00 PM
yes ive seen this movie in the theatres and i canit waith to fire it up on dvd. the movie is better than i thouhgt it would be, but it is steven. the only problem i have with the film is the ending. my siblings and i are still trying to figure out how the HECK (spoiler) the son got to boston...

mattepntr
11-24-2005, 10:18 PM
Yes, and what a classic this would be if that had been different...

Rick

curtis
11-24-2005, 10:20 PM
This one should be in the mail tomorrow. I did not see it in the theater. Really looking forward to it.

mattepntr
11-24-2005, 10:33 PM
Great Curtis! I think you'll really enjoy it. Just make sure little kids
are in bed....:eek:

Rick

mattepntr
11-29-2005, 07:28 PM
Hey Curtis, just curious....did you get to see it? What did you think?

Rick

curtis
11-29-2005, 08:21 PM
I got it...but I have not watched it yet.

Want to wait until the kiddies are not around so I can turn it up. Maybe Friday night.

curtis
12-02-2005, 12:00 AM
OK...just watched it. LIKED IT!

Really kept me "into" the movie.

gr1m
12-02-2005, 11:13 AM
OK...just watched it. LIKED IT!
Really kept me "into" the movie.

curtis, hows the PQ on your DLP? spielbergs likes to use a lot of grain on his movie, ie. minority report

curtis
12-02-2005, 11:29 AM
it was grainy....I didn't like it at first since I have been watching a lot of HDTV. I got used to it in about 5 minutes.

mattepntr
12-02-2005, 01:02 PM
Yep, Mr. S is a fan of (gulp! Dare I say it??) FILM.:D

pegleg
12-06-2005, 08:43 AM
I watched it with a new CD player (zone and region free). It paused several times (about 1 second each time). This is something we never saw with our older, bottom of the line dvd player.

From searchig the web, it seems pretty common, but odd that our older player never did this.

Pegleg

sensibull
12-07-2005, 06:13 AM
Objects were shaking in her house she didn't
even know she had. Even the lights flickered. It was AWESOME.:p

Funny, I watched this last night at decent volume and my wife came in from the office to ask me if I knew the house was shaking. And that's on a low-end Dayton 10". This movie has to have some of the strongest and most frequent LFE pulses of all time. It's the only flick that has even come close to clipping my BFD.

p.s. Pegleg - I watched it on my HTPC, but I did notice 1 or 2 "stutters" (micro-second pauses) during hard pans. Given the occasional flakiness of software playback, I can't be sure it's the same thing you experienced but I thought I'd just throw another data point out there...

BGHD
12-07-2005, 11:49 PM
This movie will definitely replace Master & Commander as my "check out my sub" disc. Knocked over the clock I had sitting on top of my vtf3.

shane55
12-25-2005, 09:59 PM
This movie will definitely replace Master & Commander as my "check out my sub" disc. Knocked over the clock I had sitting on top of my vtf3.

Yes...
Watched the DVD last night. My SVS PB10-ISD had my house shaking like no other movie ever has. It is a sub-lovers dream movie! My motion-detecting remote control kept turning on.:eek: Brilliant DTS soundtrack.

I saw this in the theater when it came out. The sound in my home theater, with my Ascends and SVS was so much better than the theater, it made this otherwise not-so-great movie very watchable.

It impressed the wife, and really... that's all that matters.:D

cheers!

shane

mattepntr
02-01-2006, 08:38 AM
Congrats to my friends at ILM on their much deserved Academy
Award nomination for the amazing VFX in this movie! You guys rock...

Also congrats to the awesome sound guys for their noms for sound
mixing and sound effects editing. "BWAAAAAAAAHHHHH.....!":eek:

Rick

http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/2971/aliensfx78gg.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/3724/mp6115uh.jpg