PDA

View Full Version : I begin my Ascend odyssey!

leonp
06-01-2005, 08:07 PM
I placed my order for my new Ascend speaker system last night. It consists of 3-340's and 2-200's. I call it an odyssey, because I requested B-stocks (based on everyone's strong recommendation of them) and they only have the 200's in stock as B-stock. Therefore, I will have to wait until 3 B-stock 340 cabinets roll along that they can fill with drivers, etc. and send to me.

Like everyone else, when I called I got David F and I placed my order. He was courteous and there were no problems. He didn't do any suggestive selling, which I normally abhore. However, since I forgot to order the brackets to mount the 200's, it would have helped. I had to order them over the net this morning.

The good news is that I am also selling my system in pieces. However, I have inquiries on all three, so it may be gone before I get the my whole new set. My center channel is already boxed up.

I have also bought my new sub, a used SVS CS 20-39 plus and Samson amp. They should be here middle of next week if all goes well.

As this system arrives in pieces, I'll follow-up on this post. So far, just an order placement and anticipation!

leonp

MrTomasulo
06-01-2005, 08:17 PM
Congrats!

What receiver will you be using?

leonp
06-01-2005, 08:19 PM
My 5 year old Denon, I think it's a 3300. It has done me right since I had it.

leonp

leonp
06-02-2005, 07:45 PM
Looks like still more smiles! The 200's and mounts shipped yesterday, one day after I ordered. Dave also gave me a helpful reply concerning placing a speaker against a side wall.

I might need to pay someone in the ascend factory to drop a few of those enclosures so I can get my B-stocks sooner! :rolleyes: Three of my five current home theater speakers are sold, and the other pair may follow soon! I might be listening to 2-channel+1 soon out of my new 200's and new SVS sub. Well, at least that will give me an opportunity to review the 200's. You don't see much on those on this or any other forum.

leonp

leonp
06-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Since my last post I have received my used SVS CS 20-39+ with a Samson Amp. I also received my B-stock HTM-200's I plan to use a surrounds. First the sub..

The long and short on the sub is that it is low and strong! You may have heard stories about houses shaking and things falling off walls. I am here to tell you, they are all true! Things didn't fall down in this room, but in the next room up! Now that being said, the bass seems boomy and unclear. However, I don't think that is a function of the sub, but of the room and the level (gain). I have not done any calibration yet, I plan to wait until I have the entire system together and do it all at once. I also need to work on placement. I have moved it once and it made a big difference.

Now for the HTM-200's. They arrived on the scheduled date without incident. Packing was fine. Since these are B-stock, I inspected them to find the flaws. On the first I found nothing. On the second I could see where the wrapping (whatever they use to cover these things with) had a few ripples in it near one of the seams. I think they were on the bottom. My wife found the flaw on the other one, it was truly tiny, same type as the first. For the savings I got, it is worth it to me. No complaints about these flaws.

See verified user review section for my review of the 200's (if my review makes the cut?)

leonp

bikeman
06-11-2005, 04:33 AM
Now that being said, the bass seems boomy and unclear. However, I don't think that is a function of the sub, but of the room and the level (gain). I have not done any calibration yet, I plan to wait until I have the entire system together and do it all at once. I also need to work on placement. I have moved it once and it made a big difference.
See verified user review section for my review of the 200's (if my review makes the cut?)
leonp

I look forward to your review. I'll be adding the 200's as my surrounds in the near future.
Have you considered a BFD for the sub? It did wonders for mine.

http://www.snapbug.ws/bfd.htm

David

leonp
06-11-2005, 05:13 PM
I absolutely am considering a BFD or a similar type equalizer. Unfortunately, my budget is tighter than a snare drum. I am saving the money I earned on the sale of my old speakers to purchase a Stewart Firehawk screen for my front projector. Right now I am using a DIY blackout cloth screen. After the screen a parametric equalizer or BFD will be at or near the top of the list.

It's funny, once you begin to upgrade, it's like a disease. It's spreading throughout the rest of my system. I am considering a BFD, amp for my front 3 channels, a wall mounted rack for my components, new cables and wires related to the rack move, and bass traps. I think by this time next year my theater will go from :) to :D and :eek: !

leonp

leonp
06-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Well, I guess a lot has happened since I last updated this thing.

First, my old speakers are gone, replaced with cash :D .

Second, I decided to move my setup to the side wall from on the floor on a homemade low stand under the FP screen. I purchased a shelf system from the local home improvement store, built and painted my shelves from wood, and attached it to the side wall. It looks pretty good, except my DISH receiver had to be turned sideways. Long story short - I have to switch cables because it is hooked to two TV's. Sideways turn gives me access to these cables.

Since I moved my setup, I had to upgrade my cables. Purchased $160 worth from partsexpress. I would definitely recommend them. Good value, good quality, good customer service.

I also bought a new receiver, the Pioneer 1015TX. I will sell my Denon 3300 shortly (if you are interested, PM me). Prices on this were so good, and you get so much, I couldn't pass it up. Paid $415 off the net. So far it is working fine, but I can't really test the sound because I am still missing two of my speakers. Since I got a 7.1 system, I had to get 7 speakers. I am using my old Infinity Micro II's which had been gathering dust for my rear surrounds, which are mounted on the ceiling about 6 feet back from the listener.

I received my 340 center yesterday, my 340 L and R arrived today right after I left for work :mad: . Major bummer. How can two large boxes shipped from the same place going to the same place arrive on two different days? That's what Brown can do for you :p .

So I checked out my B-stock 340. The only problem I could find was that the port on the back did not mount perfectly flush to the cabinet. On one side about 1mm was off. No biggie to me, I'm sure it sounds just the same.

I'll post more once I give these a good listen, hopefully tomorrow. 'till then, I'll just have to wait.

leonp

leonp
06-25-2005, 06:16 PM
I opened up the box of my 340 L and R today. Packaging was fine, double boxed and bagged. Again, these are B-stock, so I looked for the flaws. First one, couldn't find anything. Second one, a small dent on the side edge on top. You could only see it in a certain good light. B-stock summary: I recommend if you are A) patient, it took 24 days from order to delivery for the whole set, and B) OK with very minor flaws. Savings for the set of five was around $100 versus A-stock. I would definitely do B-stock from them again.

I set them up and plugged them in to my new Pioneer 1015TX receiver. First the receiver: I moved from a Denon 3300 to this one. I have also added room treatments at first reflections, and an SVS sub. One thing I noticed, I can play these louder than my old set. They just sound better when they are cranked, up to a point. I noticed that my receiver just doesn't have enough power to really let me open them up as much as I want. It also lacks the impact and true punch I had with the Denon. However, the solution to both of these is easy and was in the plans before I ever heard the receiver: add an external amp. I have a Samson S1000 driving my sub. I plan to add a Samson S700 in the future and power my front three speakers with these three channels. Power problem solved.

Setup of my receiver and speakers is also a problem because I am having a problem with the OSD for the receiver setup. I don't think the receiver is broken, but I am still troubleshooting. Therefore, I don't have everything optimized yet. I have also not calibrated with the sub. All that being said, I will post a current review on the verified user page, and follow-up as I optimize my system.

leonp

donkelly
06-27-2005, 10:37 AM
nice report

Thanks

I think a lot of people read it but didn't reply