PDA

View Full Version : Planning new receiver for future Ascend setup

MrTomasulo
05-29-2005, 07:42 AM
I wanna spend around $500, but I wanna make sure I supply the adequate power to get my money's worth out of the 340s I plan on acquiring.

I'm also interested in the new models coming out with HDMI connections.

Does this new JVC model sound like it could do the job?...

http://www.jvc.com/press/index.jsp?item=437&pageID=1

The RX-D401S (110W x 7) offers a similar feature set as the RX-D301S/302B, but adds an HDMI interface – two inputs and one output. HDMI, increasingly available on source components and displays, converts all incoming signals to digital and allows the use of a single cable from the receiver to the display. It also offers a wired version of JVC’s USB-PC link for music file playback. In addition to HDMI, connections include four assignable audio analog inputs and two outputs, one assignable optical audio input and an assignable coaxial input. The video side features S-Video (three inputs, three outputs), composite (three inputs, three outputs), and component (two inputs, one output). The RX-D401S/402B will be available in August at a nationally advertised value of $549.95.

bikeman
05-29-2005, 08:51 AM
I'm a big fan of JVC. Good bang for the buck. One cavet. Their power ratings, like many of their competitor's, are a joke. This unit does not put out anywhere near 110x7. It probably closer to 110 divided by 7. If you don't need a lotta power, this may be a good way to go. I'm considering one of these myself. If you need more power, and some folks think there's never enough, then I'd look at something else.
The first generation of JVC digital hybrids have been very well received. It looks like the 2nd generation will just add features without adding much cost.

David

MrTomasulo
05-29-2005, 09:26 AM
Thanks David.

Compared to most listeners I myself probably do not "require" a lot of power. My current room is about 16x15x8 (but only rent now so move in the future is likely). I also do not usually listen at exceptionally loud volumes. However I also just want to make sure I squeeze all the quality out of the speakers I can and not short-change them.

jojo
05-29-2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks David.

Compared to most listeners I myself probably do not "require" a lot of power. My current room is about 16x15x8 (but only rent now so move in the future is likely). I also do not usually listen at exceptionally loud volumes. However I also just want to make sure I squeeze all the quality out of the speakers I can and not short-change them.

i ordered 2323 with h/k 335 and im very pleased with my h/k better than my entry level denon. my room is 12x14x8 and it rocks the room. today was the first day i got to turn the volume up. wow 55 watts is lots so far. my neighbor under me was trying to compete with my new system and lets say the hsu sub put him in his place.
I used that ezset up and i used my t2 thx setup to check the levels and it did my room well. pretty accurate. there is bass mangment for dvda and sacd which is good. i think you would love the 335 as so far i do

Zyzzyva100
05-30-2005, 11:25 AM
i ordered 2323 with h/k 335 and im very pleased with my h/k better than my entry level denon. my room is 12x14x8 and it rocks the room. today was the first day i got to turn the volume up. wow 55 watts is lots so far. my neighbor under me was trying to compete with my new system and lets say the hsu sub put him in his place.
I used that ezset up and i used my t2 thx setup to check the levels and it did my room well. pretty accurate. there is bass mangment for dvda and sacd which is good. i think you would love the 335 as so far i do

Does the 335 really have bass management for dvd-a and sacd? I am planning to get the 435 since my room is quite a bit larger than yours, and I was wondering about the bass management. I plan to get the pioneer 588a for its universal player abilities, but I hear it has terrible bass management. I was hoping to avoid having to get the outlaw ICBM for bass control, but I heard very few recievers will allow the bass management on analog inputs.

curtis
05-30-2005, 01:06 PM
I don't think the X35 series have bass management on the 7.1 analog inputs. It is a feature that was strangely deleted.

Zyzzyva100
05-30-2005, 01:47 PM
I don't think the X35 series have bass management on the 7.1 analog inputs. It is a feature that was strangely deleted.

Sadface. Oh well, I guess I can live with it, unless I can find a similar reciever that does have it.

BGHD
05-30-2005, 09:59 PM
I believe the HK digitals (1005/2005) have what you want.

Zyzzyva100
05-30-2005, 10:33 PM
I believe the HK digitals (1005/2005) have what you want.

Yea, and if I had that much money laying around.... I would rather just use the outlaw ICBM system.

curtis
05-30-2005, 11:05 PM
If it helps, I think someone from the forum got a 1005 from Costco for $699.

olympiccop2002
05-31-2005, 08:26 AM
Digital1234.com has the 335 for $427 and onecall.com has the 1005 for $694 shipped. I just purchased the 635 from Digital1234 and it couldn't have gone quicker or smoother.

Bjorn

jojo
05-31-2005, 08:51 AM
[QUOTE=Zyzzyva100]Does the 335 really have bass management for dvd-a and sacd? I am planning to get the 435 since my room is quite a bit larger than yours, and I was wondering about the bass management. I plan to get the pioneer 588a for its universal player abilities, but I hear it has terrible bass management. I was hoping to avoid having to get the outlaw ICBM for bass control, but I heard very few recievers will allow the bass management on analog inputs.[/QUOTE

Well zyzzyva the sub plays on dvda and sacd i guess you just have to use the subs xover. but once your using any kind of digital input you have bass managment. i havent played with stero using analog connections yet.

Zyzzyva100
05-31-2005, 11:24 AM
Hmmm, now that is rather interesting. I have been meaning to get a costco membership. There is actually one on my street, unfortunately its in the 30,000 block and I'm in the 3000 block.

Anyone know how to find out what costco actually carries without being a member? They don't seem to list much at all online.

Zyzzyva100
05-31-2005, 11:38 AM
Digital1234.com has the 335 for $427 and onecall.com has the 1005 for $694 shipped. I just purchased the 635 from Digital1234 and it couldn't have gone quicker or smoother.

Bjorn

Is digital1234.com an authorized retailer? Their site says everything comes with a full warranty, but they aren't listed on the harman kardon site...

BGHD
05-31-2005, 12:30 PM
Yea, and if I had that much money laying around.... I would rather just use the outlaw ICBM system.Sorry, forgot about the budget. Can be had for $700 or so, but not getting great reviews.

Zyzzyva100
05-31-2005, 12:58 PM
Sorry, forgot about the budget. Can be had for $700 or so, but not getting great reviews.

Yea, well I could have swung the 1005, but you are right, not the greatest reviews. Guess I'm back to the 435 or 635. Considering they are almost identical save the 10 watts of power, I think I will just with the 435 and maybe the outlaw ICBM.

For the original poster, from whom I hijacked this thread, sorry. I would like to point out what david f pointed out to me though, the auto room/speaker calibration on the 435 is quite a bit better then that on the 335, and good deals can be had here when you purchase speakers too.

olympiccop2002
05-31-2005, 01:38 PM
Digital1234 has this on their website "All the items we sell are 100% Brand New. They include USA Warranties & all the accessories provided by the manufacturer."
WE DO NOT SELL REFURBISHED, USED, GRAY MARKET, OPEN BOX OR RECONDITIONED MERCHANDISE.

I would take that to mean that the warranty from HK would still be good. Of course I have been wrong about these things before.

Bjorn

Zyzzyva100
05-31-2005, 01:51 PM
Yea, I saw that, but I still wonder. I emailed them and Harman Kardon. I won't trust it until I have confirmation that I can use as proof in the future if needed.

olympiccop2002
05-31-2005, 03:23 PM
Let me know what they say. I took a leap of faith and purchased from them. I guess if it turns out they aren't an authorized dealer I wouldn't be suprised. I would still purchase from them in the future. They have excellent prices and fast shipping. I love the 635 and think that either the 435/635 would be a great addition to your music/ht experience.

Bjorn