PDA

View Full Version : What the wife said...

MikeQ
05-28-2005, 10:14 AM
So through out this whole process of buying a HT set up...my wife has been pretty bored with the whole thing...in general she is very laid back and does not get too up or down about much of anything. (which is a great balance)

Every time I come home and there are new boxes or I go to Tweeter and come home with new things...she says nothing...Not a word of approval or disapproval. Which usally means she just doesn't care one way or the other but would like the boxes to get cleaned up.

Last night was the first time I had my system fully functional (almost-UPS had an issue with one of the 340's). I had 340L 340C 170R 170LS and Cambridge Soundworks RS.

We watched the movie Ray...

Afterwards, my wife says...that was like being at a real movie theater.

Which for her means...WOW that was great!

so....Thanks to all who have helped me set this up!!! :)

curtis
05-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Great!

So you used a 170 for the right main, a 340 for the left main, a 340 center, and one 170 for the left surround?

Did you have another surround? What did brown do to the other 340?

MikeQ
05-28-2005, 10:45 AM
Great!

So you used a 170 for the right main, a 340 for the left main, a 340 center, and one 170 for the left surround?

Did you have another surround? What did brown do to the other 340?

Yes that is what I had to do. I used an very old Cambridge Soundworks Newtonian for the other surround.

Brown squashed the other 340...pic to follow.

MikeQ
05-28-2005, 10:49 AM
This is what Brown can do for you!

curtis
05-28-2005, 10:51 AM
Oh SH%T!!! No way!!

Quinn
05-28-2005, 12:16 PM
What did they puncture the box with? A forklift blade?

When I got my 170s 2-3 years ago my wife walked in and asked, "who's here?" she thought one of my friends was playing guitar in the living room.

Lou-the-dog
05-28-2005, 03:46 PM
This is what Brown can do for you!

For crying out loud!! I wonder how they managed to do that? Ya know, I can somewhat understand damage from rough handling BUT that looks like something penentrated the box. Gheez!!

Randy

MikeQ
05-28-2005, 03:56 PM
nothing was punchured...kinda mangled...I actually saw the UPS guy throw the box off the truck...Dave F. says they design the packing to handle that but this was a bit excessive.

If you notice...the paper is pushed OUT not in...the magnetic thingy came apart and was just bouncing around in there....

Ascend has been GREAT and are sending me a new one. They shipped it same day!

Lou-the-dog
05-28-2005, 04:33 PM
Wow! I suppose they dropped it hard enough to separate the magnet from the diaghram. Maybe someone needs to drop that UPS driver on his head sometime and see how he likes it. Stuff like this just drives up the cost for everyone and there is no need for it.

Randy

Kpt_Krunch
05-28-2005, 06:37 PM
That's just horrible - a fine speaker that didn't even get a chance to sing (except for what David puts it through in the QC).

HUGE KUDOS to David F. and Ascend to send you another speaker immediately. This is one BIG reason why I had no problems pulling the, er whoops - purchasing the Ascends on line. Though mine arrived with nary a scratch (had a hole in the center channel box, actually punched right through the second box as well, but no damage to the speaker WHEW!) I knew if there was a problem I would be looked after immediately with no waiting for a 'claim' of somekind to go through.

shane55
05-29-2005, 12:20 AM
Yeah... they mangled my 340's box... styrofoam was pretty shattered, but speakers were unscathed.
All other Ascend shipments were perfecto.

Conversely, I went through 3... count 'em... 3 - 22" CRT PC monitors before I got one through DHL (the forth and current) that was good. These folks can be very bad.

Great to hear that Dave F is making things right. You'll love the system even more once it is complete and tuned in.:D

shane

bikeman
05-29-2005, 05:23 AM
Ascend has been GREAT and are sending me a new one. They shipped it same day!

Same here. Brown destroys, Ascend replaces ASAP.
Dave F. even called me at midnight our time (I had just emailed him so he knew I was up) to "encourage" me NOT to try and fix the speaker. :confused: :rolleyes: I must have given him the impression in my email that I had drill in hand and was scrubbing for surgery. :eek: Now that's customer service.

David

metalaaron
05-29-2005, 08:43 AM
This is what Brown can do for you! hehehe

that sucks! have you ever seen ace ventura? the opening scene where he's dressed up as a brown driver and squashing that package all the way to the front door? hehe. unfortunately damages do happen during material handling. seems it is very rare that anyone who has used fedex, ups, and dhl would never experience a damaged product.
i almost threw up when i unpacked my acoustic guitar and saw what fedex did to it. i lost a lot of sleep over that.

i sold some paradigms on ebay last year. the buyer didn't want insurance, and the center (HEAVY, CC-570) was shipped all the way to CA from TN. it was in original, unopened shipping carton with industrial strength stretch wrap. she was ready for war. of course, the center was damaged due to that darn murphy's law guy. the buyer from audiogon wanted me to pay for the speaker after he had already left positive feedback on ebay.

anyways, you'll get all fixed up soon. unfortunate that you were tagged with one of brown's damages for the year, but you're protected by buying direct from ascend. imagine the mess if it was used w/o any assurance behind it.