PDA

View Full Version : Remember when......

curtis
05-23-2005, 04:01 PM
.........on the old forum we would be lucky to get 15 posts a week, and no posts on the weekends?

Things have really changed! :D

Eddie Horton
05-23-2005, 05:41 PM
No kidding!! I'm glad to see the traffic here and all the mentions Ascend has been getting on the other forums.

jimsiff
05-24-2005, 01:39 AM
Who started the original forum? I get the feeling that it wasn't originally associated directly with Ascend. Is that true? What's the scoop? :D

Lou-the-dog
05-24-2005, 04:27 AM
Curtis and Smokey started the original forum.I believe the old forum had the blessings of Ascend but was not associated or linked to from the factory site. DaveF wanted to see how things went before he took it under the umbrella of the company. I suspect when the old site crashed it was an opportune time to combine them.

Randy

bikeman
05-24-2005, 07:09 AM
The best part of the increased traffic for me is the friendly and supportive nature of the Forum hasn't changed. The thing that has changed is the amount of useful information. I get loads of useful information from all of you without all the noise that some of the forums have in abundance. Hope someday we'll be able to organize a GTG.

David

Nicholas Mosher
05-24-2005, 07:18 AM
This is a great Forum, and I'm glad I found it even though I'm a newb relative to you old geezers... :p

I also post on Home Theater Guide Forum and AVS.
I started to chat on Audioholics, but there was too much BS.
Home Theater Forum has too many adds and runs too slow for my tastes.

curtis
05-24-2005, 08:11 AM
The old forum started about 1.5 years ago. There were many Ascend owners and potential customers asking about a dedicated forum. Smokey asked me if I would be willing to help if we got DaveF's blessing.

With that, Smokey went off with his own funds, got the domain name, found a VERY inexpensive host, set-up the agreed upon software, and the forum was born. All I had to do was moderate and set-up categories.

Then we had that catastrophic crash in Oct/Nov of last year, and Ascend was also working on new website, so it was a good time to bring the forum over. Smokey started working with DaveF on the integration, as well as saving what he could from the old forum(and preparing with his wife to have a baby). In February, the new forum was born.

Bringing over the forum has increased traffic with participation from more and more Ascend owners.

curtis
05-24-2005, 08:13 AM
I started to chat on Audioholics, but there was too much BS.

You're not kidding! Some of the info from one or two of the big posters on that site is just plain wrong.

Quinn
05-24-2005, 08:59 AM
You're not kidding! Some of the info from one or two of the big posters on that site is just plain wrong.

On the speaker fourm there, there seems to be 3 main players and I'd agree they don't have much experience.

The thread on speaker floor spikes comes to mind as to the general clueless nature of things there.

smokey
05-25-2005, 05:40 PM
The old forum started about 1.5 years ago. There were many Ascend owners and potential customers asking about a dedicated forum. Smokey asked me if I would be willing to help if we got DaveF's blessing.

That's exactly right, didn't seem to make much sense having an Ascend forum without Curtis! ;)

In any case, I had Ascends, liked them very much, and had experience in making forums so it was a no-brainer. That said, any delays/problems are entirely my own making, not Curtis' or DavidF's. They've got enough on their plates!

Glad to see you guys are enjoying it, I know I am.

-Smokey.

jermy4
05-25-2005, 06:45 PM
Glad to see you guys are enjoying it, I know I am.

It's great thanks to you and Curtis.