PDA

View Full Version : If Limited to 100Hz Crossover?

billybob_jcv
05-23-2005, 11:14 AM
I pulled the trigger on the $150 Pioneer 912 at Costco. The one thing that has me worried is that the lowest sub crossover setting on the 912 is 100Hz. Will that be a problem if I go with the CMT-340s as mains? Would I be wasting the low-end of the 340s and might as well go for the 170s? Thanks!

Lee Bailey
05-23-2005, 11:26 AM
That would depend on what you are using for a subwoofer. Does your sub have speaker level inputs as well? If so, you can hook it up through your front speakers, and use the subs crossover. Set the front speakers to LARGE in your reciever, with the rest set to SMALL. The 100hz crossover in the receiver will then redirect to the front L/R speakers, and feed the sub. You would also set the receiver to SUB=NO, so the LFE will also be fed to your front speakers.

billybob_jcv
05-23-2005, 12:02 PM
I still need to buy the sub, so my options are still open. I may not need the speaker level anyway, as I found a mention in the Pioneer manual that says that if the front speakers are set to "large" and the sub is set to "plus", then the sub channel will be active and the fronts will get full range. Still seems like a waste of amp power for the full range to be sent to the fronts, even if they are Ascend 340s or really 99.9% of towers, but at least I can try it.

Lee Bailey
05-23-2005, 03:02 PM
I still need to buy the sub, so my options are still open. I may not need the speaker level anyway, as I found a mention in the Pioneer manual that says that if the front speakers are set to "large" and the sub is set to "plus", then the sub channel will be active and the fronts will get full range. Still seems like a waste of amp power for the full range to be sent to the fronts, even if they are Ascend 340s or really 99.9% of towers, but at least I can try it.

You typically don't want to run the 340s in full range, especially since some LFE signal can also be sent their depending on the bass management implementation of the receiver. It's best to run the 340s as SMALL. It would just be nice to have a better selection of crossover frequencies to use.