PDA

View Full Version : How much sand?

LampCord
05-23-2005, 07:12 AM
OK,

Unless UPS decides on another detour, my stands for the 340's should arrive today. Which means I need to go pick up some sand to fill them. The question is, how much?

I was going to split a 50lb bag between the two of them but then it occured to me that the speakers would actually be fairly close to the stands in weight placing the center of gravity fairly high.

The other option was two 50lb bags, one for each stand. But now I'm bringing the total weight of each speaker to a phenominal 90 lbs! (Speaker + stand + sand).

That seems a bit much.

Perhaps there is a happy medium.

Just wondering if I could get some input from those of you who have the stands.

How much did you use?
Are they stable at that weight?
Are they crazy heavy making them impossible to move?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

curtis
05-23-2005, 07:39 AM
If you do not plan on moving them much, I say the more sand the better.

I have about 50 lbs. in each of my custom stands. They are solid, not easily going anywhere, and I don't worry about them getting knocked over by the kids or dog.

jimsiff
05-23-2005, 09:36 AM
I have about 60 lbs. in each stand. That makes them about as heavy as an 80 lb. bag of concrete. At that weight, they are easy enough to move if you lift properly, but heavy enough that you don't want to do it every day. :D

I would figure out your room layout and speaker position first. Once you're happy, mark where the stand will go with tape. Take the stand outside or to the garage and fill it with sand. A 50 lb bag per stand should be fine.

Lee Bailey
05-23-2005, 10:15 AM
I have a full 50 lb bag of sand in each of my stands. A good idea would be to keep the spikes off, and set your speakers up the way you want them first. Mark the position with masking tape on the floor. Then install the spikes, position your stands, and fill the stands up with sand. After that, you're on your own if you need to move the speakers. At least you can seperate the 340s from the stand before moving them again.

LampCord
05-23-2005, 11:09 AM
Thanks guys. Looks like the consenus is 50 lbs or more. I picked up two 50 lb bags at lunch and was surpised at just how small they are! Looks like these stands will be quite stable. One of them will act as a barricade to keep my yungins from getting behind the Entertainment Center so it will occasionally have to be moved if I need to get back there.

I did the math and came up with 95.5 lbs total for each speaker. I realize this has the added benefit of assuring my wife doesn't move them either! It should be perfect. Easy enough for me to move when motivated, but impossible for anyone else in my family.

I already have the positions well defined. I have the 340's set up on top of the old JBL's which made adequate speaker stands and I'll be putting them in the same spot.

dae3dae3
05-23-2005, 11:25 AM
Thanks for asking the question for me. I'm getting my stands tomorrow. :D

I looked the other day at Home Depot and was also surprised at how small the 50 pound bag of sand is.

Lee Bailey
05-23-2005, 11:28 AM
If you want to fill the stands to their tops, buy a 3rd bag of sand.

LampCord
05-23-2005, 04:18 PM
Thanks for asking the question for me. I'm getting my stands tomorrow. :D

I looked the other day at Home Depot and was also surprised at how small the 50 pound bag of sand is.

Carefull about the Home Depot sand. My wife went to the one by our place and said it was wet. I guess that's so you can build sand castles easier? Not sure, but the stuff I got at Toys R Us was dry. I don't like the idea of some wet sand getting all moldy in my speaker stands!

Lee Bailey
05-23-2005, 05:16 PM
You need to get the play sand at Home Depot. Mine was not wet. Though, depending on where they store it, it might get wet.

BGHD
06-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Dang, the stupid Home Depot bag of sand was wet too. I guess it's going into the garden instead. Good idea to go with ToysRUs.

curtis
06-07-2005, 11:51 AM
hmmm...my two bags were dry.

BGHD
06-13-2005, 02:46 PM
hmmm...my two bags were dry.Taken out of context, sounds pretty funny.

curtis
06-13-2005, 03:25 PM
I was waiting for a comment on that....

tjennings
09-22-2005, 08:12 PM
I got my Quikrete play sand -

http://www.quikrete.com/catalog/PlaySand.html

at Lowes and it is nice and dry - stored in-doors. Now I just need my 340's & stands to arrive! All dressed up with no place to go... ;)