PDA

View Full Version : 340's all around????

strange1
05-21-2005, 10:49 AM
Hi,

This is my second post since buying my 340 speakers (mains & center) from Ascend. They still continue to impress me... :D :D .BTW I think the best investment I have made thus far to enhance these speakers is XM radio---by far the best 12 bucks a month I have ever spent.

My question is does anyone on this forum have the 340's all around??I read a post somewhere mentioning that the Dolby labs people recommend 5 identical speakers for the optimum surround configuration. In my particular room right now (20ft by 15ft) I know it would be overkill--but I have yet to see anyone post that they have this particular 5.1 setup. I'll probably end up going with the 170's in the rear, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask--after all on the 340 description page under system advisor it lists this setup as Top of the Line!!.
Anyway--I have to go pour through the CD collection again :)

Thanks for your input,

Kevin

curtis
05-21-2005, 11:49 AM
If you can do it, 340's all the way around would be GREAT.

The only person on the forum that I know of that has that setup is ClutchBrake.

ClutchBrake
05-23-2005, 09:23 AM
Like curtis said, I have 340s all around. I power them with a Denon 3803. My sub is an SVS 20-39 PCi. I use a Behringer Feedback Destroyer to flatten the in-room LFE response.

My room is 14'W x 20'L x 7.5'H.

Overkill? Yes. Do I regret going with this setup? Hell no.

Lee Bailey
05-23-2005, 10:16 AM
ClutchBrake, how did you mount your surrounds? Are they on a wall, or, are you just using some stands?

ClutchBrake
05-23-2005, 11:38 AM
I was hoping you wouldn't ask! :D

Here are a couple of pics from when I received my 340s. At the time it was a temporary not so attractive solution. When I remodeled the room I was going to make the mounting a bit more aesthetically pleasing. That was over a year ago and the only thing I've done so far is swap out the beige two prong outlets with white three prong outlets. :D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/CB_HomeTheater/RightSurround.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/CB_HomeTheater/LeftSurround.jpg

Lee Bailey
05-23-2005, 03:04 PM
Didn't even want to spring for some white wire or white paint for the wire? :rolleyes: (Please note the sarcasm!)

Man, though 340s look huge on a wall!

ClutchBrake
05-23-2005, 03:19 PM
Didn't even want to spring for some white wire or white paint for the wire? :rolleyes: (Please note the sarcasm!)

Man, though 340s look huge on a wall!

Hehe. The wires are going in-wall when I remodel. :D

One of the benefits of being a single man is not having to worry about what it looks like. No one has ever said a word about the wires though. Not even women. The one thing all women notice is my SVS. Women love that thing. Subconscious, I suppose.

Lee Bailey
05-23-2005, 05:15 PM
Hehe. The wires are going in-wall when I remodel. :D

One of the benefits of being a single man is not having to worry about what it looks like. No one has ever said a word about the wires though. Not even women. The one thing all women notice is my SVS. Women love that thing. Subconscious, I suppose.

Some sort of envy, perhaps? :eek: