PDA

View Full Version : A few random observations...

leonp
05-15-2005, 03:06 AM
... I'm the type that will research something to death before making an important decision. Upgrading my current home theater speakers is one of them. Sites I have used in my research over the last few months include this one, EBAY, AVS Forum, Audio Review, Audioholics, and more.

I can find every brand of speaker under the sun for sale on EBAY but one: Ascend. I am curious about their resale value, and am also a bargain hunter unafraid to risk a little and save a lot. None on EBAY tells me that either or both of these are true: 1) there are so few of these out there that none are being sold. OR 2) Everyone that has these likes them so much they don't want to part with them. :cool:

I haven't found anyone who had anything bad to say about Ascend on this site. Now let's be honest, that should not surprise anyone. Who would be using this site except owners or potential owners like me. HOWEVER, I haven't found anyone on ANY site that has anything bad to say about these speakers or the company. A few people (very few) have stated they preferred x to Ascend when comparing the two, but they were still complimentary about the Ascends. This is one reason I am confident that I will enjoy these. Is it possible I won't? I guess. But are my ears or preferences really that much different than everyone else who has heard these?

One more. I am trying to decide whether or not to buy these before or after I sell my current Definitive system. I would love to do an A - B comparison, but I plan to use the funds from that sale to make this purchase. I'll have to convince the boss to go into short term debt to buy these first. I am planning to make all this happen in June when I return from vacation.

Again, just some random observations.

leonp

sensibull
05-15-2005, 04:49 AM
I think the lack of Ascends on eBay is a combination of the 2 factors you mentioned, though I wouldn't say "so few" are out there so much as "so many" of the other speakers are. Moreover, I think Ascend owners would be more likely to sell on Audiogon (http://www.audiogon.com) than eBay, where the transaction is a little less cold and anonymous and more control over the selling price can be exerted by both parties. In fact, if you do a search for Ascend on Audiogon, I think you'll find 2 pairs of 170s up right now, though the discount is so slight that, if it were me, I'd still buy them new from David.

As for the lack of negative comments on the forums... as an owner myself, I find that very comforting and proof that I chose wisely. If Ascends cost more (and attracted more of those fickle self-dubbed "audiophiles" or newbies impressed by a pricetag), or their owners were the type to engage in confrontational online posturing (like some other brands that will remain nameless), then you might see more critics coming out of the woodwork -- that's just human nature. But they're such a good deal, and impress so many with their neutrality, that it really is hard to find fault with them. Once again, credit David for not only designing a stellar line of speakers and offering outstanding customer service, but also running an organization that exemplifies class and maturity.

Lou-the-dog
05-15-2005, 04:52 AM
Your observations are the same as mine when I was researching for a speaker choice...a huge amount of folks having a positive experience with their Ascends. I have seen Ascends for sale. Over the last year maybe one set on E-Bay and a couple sales on this forum (the old Ascend forum). It appeared to me that they held their resale quite well. If memory serves me correctly a pair of 170's sold for ~ $250...a savings of ~$75 or so. DaveF subsidizes the shipping so when you throw the shipping into the mix that $75 is probably closer to $50. I'd rather buy new.

Randy

Kpt_Krunch
05-15-2005, 09:27 AM
I remember when I first started doing research when looking for a new T.V. I found the AVS forum and with help from all I read I made my purchase (DLP - Sammy). Then, I decided to upgrade my speakers and started researching there too. First time I read about Ascend was post by Curtis - a short but very polite post to just 'check out the site'. I did, and my initial reaction was "I want to upgrade, not down grade" and wrote Ascend off and kept searching/reading. Months went by, and like Lou and Leon, I research stuff to death. I auditioned as often as I could as time allowed, and was all set to upgrade to the Paradigm studio line, just had to wait and save some money.

However, Ascend would periodically pop up in different threads, and I started gettng more and more interested with all the information I was finding on them. I pm'd a few of the current owners, and received some excellent feed back from them. Then, I had to spend some money on a furnace upgrade and there went my Paradigm money - however, the Ascends at their price point, and the great price of the Canadian loonie, really started me on the Ascend path. I eventually pulled the trigger, and boy was I ever wrong on thinking these speakers would not be an upgrade! The 340's blew away my old speakers (Floor standers - Polk RT800i's - which have a decent rep themselves) but the 340's were the same price retail that I paid for the 800i's (which were 50% off) including shipping.

Not only that, but given their size the Ascends are easy to fit into just about any size room, and will easliy fill it with sound. As for selling these puppies, no way! For the price paid I will never find a better speaker than these, and even in the future if I do decided to upgrade (say I win a lottery or something) the Ascends I have will always have place in my home somewhere - they're just that damn good!

Quinn
05-15-2005, 11:09 AM
When used 170s hit ebay they generally sell for around $275.

LampCord
05-16-2005, 08:07 AM
I haven't found anyone who had anything bad to say about Ascend on this site. Now let's be honest, that should not surprise anyone. ...
leonp

Actually it should. Forums for specific products are notorious for whiners. The vocal minority that seem to make the majority of posts and give a false impression of problems for the simple fact that people are much more likely to post negative feedback for a product than positive.

I could name off about 8-10 products I currently own and am very satisfied with that if I sent you to one of their forums you would find many, many complaints.

The lack of negative comments about Ascends on this or any other forum speaks volumes.

Quinn
05-16-2005, 12:41 PM
The thing I see on other forums is when someone has an issue and number of people starting telling the original poster how great the customer service is "as they had the same problem" and the company was great handling it. Those responses to me show just how many problems a company is having with quality control to begin with.

curtis
05-16-2005, 01:49 PM
I'm with Quinn....

When I see post about dealing with customer support on actual product issues, is not something I like to see. It raises a warning flag for me. The vendor SHOULD take care of the issue...and with a smile.

I like to see customer support, pre and post sale, when there are no problems with the product. That shows the vendor going ABOVE and BEYOND what is necessary.

bikeman
05-16-2005, 01:59 PM
The thing I see on other forums is when someone has an issue and number of people starting telling the original poster how great the customer service is "as they had the same problem" and the company was great handling it. Those responses to me show just how many problems a company is having with quality control to begin with.

Some (most) of the pre-pro's have gotten so complex that until there are a sufficient number of units out, the problems may not be apparent. I think the Sherwood that Curtis has is an example. The initial reaction was very positive but then as the users became more familar, the shortcomings became apparent. That's my understanding. Curtis could clarify.
With speakers, you're absolutely right. That's usually QC. I like what Ascend does to thwart this. Bench test each speaker. That's gotta take a chunk a change out of the bottom line.

David

curtis
05-16-2005, 02:10 PM
Yeah...the Sherwood/Newcastle P-965 has had some bugs crop up, particularly in some of the lesser used processing modes(which I hardly ever use). Luckily, for my use, the bugs don't come into play and I am able to enjoy the excellent sound quality.

A good run was made at fixing issues and adding features, but there are some lingering bugs, and new firmware fixes have slowed. I think this has been a cause for some of the frustrations. Hopefully, these will be remedied in a month.

The other piece of frustration was the Sherwood/Newcastle rep was a constant presence on the AVSForum, but when the firmware revisions slowed, his presence diminished. Luckily, I have kept in email contact with him, but that doesn't get me the fixes.

For speakers, I agree. Testing each one before it is shipped to the customer....you can't beat that.

pegleg
05-18-2005, 07:50 AM
I also found no negative responses to Ascend. That was a factor when I first bought the 170s (now in the basement, with 340s in the LR).
I queried google groups, because it is easy to find negatives there. No such luck (hehheh).
A couple of reviewers at one board even had **** 901s, my case exactly, and they were more pleased, as I am, with the Ascends.
So, unheard, I bought the 170s, and they have only been diminished (if that is the right word) by the 340s.
Pegleg