PDA

View Full Version : Need SACD/DVD-A recommendations...

jimsiff
05-13-2005, 01:51 PM
I'm just starting my multichannel collection. I love classic rock, blues, r&b, some jazz, acoustic guitar, and just a bit of classical. I'm looking for the best combinations of great music and reference quality recordings/5.1 mixes. I don't want to sacrifice great music to get reference quality recordings.

So far, I have

Pink Floyd: DSOTM SACD
Ray Charles: Genius Loves Company SACD
Eagles: Hotel California DVD-A

I'm looking to get

LAGQ: Guitar Heroes SACD
Telarc Sampler SACD
Telarc 1812 Overture SACD
AIX Sampler DVD-A

What are some other great titles? I love Zeppelin, but every review for How The West Was Won I've seen rates the surround mix as average to poor. I already have the 2 channel CD version. Anyone out there have the DVD-A version? If so, what do you think?

s2pdname
05-13-2005, 02:18 PM
I haven't felt like I've had the system (primarily speakers) in the past to provide recommendations to others, but I am always willing to refer anyone to sa-cd.net. This is a fantastic site for listener reviews and just to browse what is available whether it be within the US or abroad.

http://www.sa-cd.net/home

MikeAndAnnie
05-13-2005, 02:42 PM
'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' is very good (but $$$ at about
28.00 USD for the double album). I
suspect the 1812 Overture will be the best reference of the
bunch (I have Telarc's DTS version and it was mixed
extremely well. Take their advice about turning down the
db's before getting to the cannon part).
I am planning on getting 'Eat a Peach' and 'Blow by Blow',
based on good reviews, and of course, the amazing music in both.

OTOH, I think the engineer who mixed the
DTS version of Allman Bros. live at Fillmore East (Aaron Baron; Larry Dahlstrom) should be forced
to listen to Brittany Spears as punishment...there is little separation
amoung the band's instruments, though at least they are together
in the front speakers. However, Duane Allman's guitar is
ALWAYS out of the REAR left speaker - this is desecration as far as
I am concerned. Since these two also did the SACD version I am guessing
it has similar problems...
Will be interested in hearing what you think of Genius Loves Company, as that also is on my list.

curtis
05-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Just so happens that I did some online shopping today......

James Taylor-Hourglass Single Layer Multichannel SACD(I have a SACD sample from this disc, and it is excellent, so I decided to get it)

Dr. Chesky & His Band of Maniacs-Dr. Chesky's 5.1 Surround Sound Show Hybrid Multichannel SACD (read that this is an excellent demo disc...I think DNelms has posted that as well)

Chesky Records-The Ultimate DVD Surround Sampler & 5.1 Set-Up Disc DVD Audio/Video (read that it is a good setup/demo disc)

Elton John-SACD Sampler Hybrid Multichannel SACD (this was a freebie on the site with a $30 order)

I bought them at AcousticsSounds.com

I also highly recommend:

Mickey Hart-Over The Edge and Back-The Best of Mickey Hart DVD-A
Peter White-Glow SACD

Nicholas Mosher
05-13-2005, 04:00 PM
Titles from my collection I love
Dupre-Franck-Widor SACD
LAGQ: Guitar Heroes SACD
LAGQ: Latin SACD
Telarc SACD Sampler #2
Berlioz Requiem SACD
Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture SACD
A Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas SACD
Diana Krall: Love Scenes DVD-A
Pink Floyd: DSOTM SACD

sensibull
05-13-2005, 06:34 PM
Just so happens that I did some online shopping today......

So did I, oddly enough (considering I have only 3 other multichannel disks), but I am limited to DVD-A.

I picked up American Beauty (Grateful Dead), Harvest (Neil Young), and Sinatra at the Sands (Backed by the Count Basie Orchestra). All three are well-reviewed, guaranteed winners.

My other DVD-As are American Stars N Bars (Neil Young), an Emmylou Harris compilation called Producer's Cut, and the Dead's Workingman's Dead. Of the three I'd highly recommend the last (fantastic mix, timeless songs, incredible playing); suggest the second, but only if you dig Emmylou; and say pass on the first.

jermy4
05-13-2005, 10:10 PM
James Taylor-Hourglass Single Layer Multichannel SACD(I have a SACD sample from this disc, and it is excellent, so I decided to get it)

I have it. Tracks 1 & 4 are jaw dropping good.

curtis
05-13-2005, 10:13 PM
Track 1 is what I have on a sampler disc......and why I wanted the actual JT disc.

gman8691
05-15-2005, 09:10 AM
Hi all,
I have been busy trying to accumulate as many hi res or multichannel discs as I can for fear that they will soon be nonexistent. To that end I have made it a point to visit every Best Buy in my area to pick thru the already meager offerings. (forget about Circuit City they don't even know what sacd or dvd a are).This is what I have so far:

SACD DVD-A
Pink Floyd - Dsotm Doors- LA Woman
Steely Dan - Gaucho Yes - Fragile
Allman Bros - Eat A Peach Fleetwood Mac- Rumors
Elton John - Honky Chateau Michael McDonald- Motown
Etlon John - Elton John ELP- From The Front Row
Aerosmith - Toys In The Attic Queen- A Night At The Opera
David Bowie- Ziggy Stardust Queen- The Game
Spyro Gyra - The Deep End Eagles- Hotel California
Boston - Boston stereo only :( Steely Dan- Everything Must Go
Diana Krall - Girl In The Other Room Widespread Panic- Dont Tell The Band
Carole King- Tapestry Elton John- Goodbye YBR
Chesky's- 5.1 Surround show
DTS
Police- Every Breath You Take
Moody Blues- Days OF Future Passed (got these 3 out of curiosity)
Santana- Abraxas

Have not had a chance to listen to all of them yet but from what I have listened to so far my top three in order are Gaucho,Fragile and DSOTM with LA Woman running a close fourth. I really have been spoiled by these hi-res formats. It just seems that this is the way the artists intended the music to be heard (especially the Doors and Yes titles) and have been ignoring my redbooks for the most part. Went thru this same thing years back when I started collecting Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs Re-masters on vinyl and I never really listened to my standard vinyl pressings again. I'm not really a big classical fan but would like to try one or two of the better ones but there are so many of these titles I really don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

drystream
05-16-2005, 07:43 AM
Go to yourmusic.com and search for 'SACD' under Album Title. There are quite a few titles available, and all for $5.99 per disc, including shipping. This is the best site for buying music I've found, although you're limited to the titles BMG offers.

jimsiff
05-16-2005, 09:36 AM
Thanks everyone for your ideas. I'll be adding to my meager collection as I get extra $$.

Thanks for the yourmusic.com tip drystream. I just signed up. For those that don't know, it's BMG's new music club offering where you pay $5.99 per disc with free shipping. You fill a music queue similar to Netflix, and you need to buy one disc per month. You can cancel at any time. It seems like an interesting service. I was disappointed to find out they only had about 45 SACD titles. There just isn't a large enough hi-rez selection to keep me going long term. They did have a lot of Elton John, Bob Dylan, and Eric Clapton.

I ordered Albert King & Stevie Ray Vaughan - In Session SACD, and Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road SACD. After I get my shipment, I will probably cancel, since the SACD selection is so small.

Dave Nelms
05-18-2005, 07:44 PM
The Blue Man Group's latest album, the Complex is also pretty good. DTS and DVD-A. Those who have just heard the older Blue Man material may be a little suprised. There are many guest voclas by Dave Mathews, Venus Hum, Tracy Bonham, and lots of good guitar and drum work.

MikeAndAnnie
05-26-2005, 02:09 PM
Have been listening to SACD of 'Eat A Peach'.
It is EXCELLENT. Its as if you are on the floor, about
three rows back, dead center. Duane on the left, Dicky on
the right, etc. Combine great imaging of the source with
the great imaging of the CBM-170's and, well, you are there...

I actually stopped listening after the first three songs so I had
something to look forward to the next couple of nights after work.
I have now heard them all. This is the way SACD should be done for
live albums.
If you liked this album on LP or CD, you must have this
version. 'Little Martha' is especially good.

Ben_Wood
05-26-2005, 06:52 PM
I just received my SACD of Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms' from Amazon.com (UK) today. I tell you, this disc should single-handedly pull Hi-Rez away from the brink of extinction. An excellent 5.1 multi-channel mix is the high point of this classic all-digital recording. Highly recommended!

curtis
05-26-2005, 07:49 PM
Hey Ben!! Where have you been?

On that note, I just ordered it from CD-Wow (http://www3.cd-wow.us) .

Ben_Wood
05-27-2005, 05:04 AM
Hey Curtis! I've been working way too much lately!

s2pdname
05-27-2005, 05:56 AM
I've been reading some excellent things about the BIA SACD. I got my delivery confirmation from cdwow on Tuesday. 7 days of waiting...ugh!

Dave Nelms
07-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Today I went to cash in my Best Buy gift cards. I was plesently suprised to still find the SACD/DVDA section still there.

I purchased the following titles:
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
John Mayer - Heavier Things
Allman Brothers - Eat a Peach and Live at Filmore East
Alison Krauss and Union Station - Live

They were all 14.99 except for the two double discs. They were 19.99 and 23.99. Overall not too pricey. And the selection, although not great, was not bad.

shane55
07-09-2005, 01:11 AM
I just received Bela Fleck's 'Drive' SACD (Mobile fidelity - Original Master Recording - Discovery Series).

It's a stereo only disc, but the sonics are spectacular. If you like acoustic or bluegrass style music, this is a serious must.

shane

Kpt_Krunch
07-18-2005, 03:52 PM
Another good one I don't see talked about too much is Deep Purples' Machine Head. IMO they did a great job with Smoke on the Water, not to mention Highway Star and Space Truckin' (I'm not revealing my age here, am I?)

tjennings
09-04-2005, 07:08 AM
One of the most comprehensive SACD / DVD-A collections is at amusicdirect.com

http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/category.asp?category=1100

Their prices aren't the cheapest, but they seem to have everything. I've bought several DVD-A / SACD's from them (as well as some PS Audio gear) and they are an excellent company to deal with... excellent customer service, quick shipping, etc.

tjennings
09-04-2005, 07:33 AM
Anything mixed by the godfather of surround, Elliot Scheiner is usually top-notch, as are Al Schmitt mixes.

http://chicksingernight.com/contest/producers.html

Some of my favorites that get a lot of playing time:
Beck - Sea Change
The Eagles - Hotel California
Steely Dan - Gaucho
Zephyr - Voices Unbound http://www.aixrecords.com/catalog/zephyr.html
Aaron Neville - I Believe
REM - Automatic For The People
Mahler - Sym # 6 - Benjamin Zander-Philharmonia Orchestra (Telarc)
Diana Krall - Look Of Love
Spyro Gyra - The Deep End << this may be my favorite disc out of about 75
Tipper - Surrounded
Jane Monheit - Come Dream With Me
Big Phat Band - XXL http://www.gordongoodwin.com/xxl.shtml
Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture - Erich Kunzel / Cinci Pops
Alison Krauss & Union Station - Live (SACD)

fastbike
10-23-2005, 12:57 PM
I've been reading some excellent things about the BIA SACD. I got my delivery confirmation from cdwow on Tuesday. 7 days of waiting...ugh!

My second (or third). The 20th Anniversary Hydrid SACD is amazing. It really makes you think they had surround in mind when they recorded this album.

A good place to shop (as far as selection of SACD and DVD-A) is www.acousticsounds.com. Great service.

tjennings
10-23-2005, 08:27 PM
Thats a pricey SACD, I think I'll get the DVD-A instead for 10 or 11 bucks less.

tjennings
12-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Since the engineer (Ainley) preferred the sound of the DVD-A to the SACD, I ordered the DVD-A and it arrives Friday, just in time for the weekend! Can't wait to hear it! I have many of the same songs on CD and am really looking forward to comparing them.