PDA

View Full Version : 340 Placement?

dae3dae3
05-12-2005, 12:27 PM
I sent this into tech support this morning but I am busy being impatient :p and thought I would post the question here.

I have two 340M’s and a 340C in a 3.1 setup for music and movies. The room is 19’x14’, has a 12’ cathedral ceiling and is open to the rest of the house. I am attaching a floor plan in case it helps. My TV which has the 340C on top of it is where it says “optional fireplace” and my seating position is about where the “oo” in Great Room is.

About how far from the wall should my 340M’s be placed? (distance from back of speaker to wall) How far apart should they be? Any advice would be helpful.

curtis
05-12-2005, 12:51 PM
In the manual that came with the speakers, their is a guideline formula for how far about the speakers should be.

From the back wall...it varies from room to room. My speakers sounded the best when they were 14 inches or more from the wall.

Play with the distance and see what sounds best.

....and I think you forgot your attachment.

ClutchBrake
05-12-2005, 01:06 PM
I don't have my manual but I seem to remember the formula for how far apart the mains should be being:

(Distance from seating position to center distance between mains) x 0.77

Let's say my seating position is 10ft back from my TV screen and the front of my speakers are flush with the front of my TV. My calculation would be:

10ft x 0.77 = 7.7ft

My mains should be 7.7ft apart.

I could be remembering incorrectly though!

dae3dae3
05-12-2005, 01:10 PM
....and I think you forgot your attachment.

I didn't forget it. I have uploaded it twice but it isn't showing up. :o

dae3dae3
05-12-2005, 01:18 PM
To heck with the attachment. Here's a link.

http://66.208.137.233/ascend/floorplan.jpg

Advantages of being a Network Administrator. :D

bikeman
05-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Use the formula as a guideline but not as an end all. My 340's are as far apart as they are from me. I've never had speakers that far apart relative to the seating position but Lee gave us a tip on how to use AVIA to get the best results and I'll be darned if it didn't work.

David

Lee Bailey
05-12-2005, 04:43 PM
Use the formula as a guideline but not as an end all. My 340's are as far apart as they are from me. I've never had speakers that far apart relative to the seating position but Lee gave us a tip on how to use AVIA to get the best results and I'll be darned if it didn't work.

David

I thought it did work! :rolleyes:

One guideline to stay by is to NOT have the speakers the same distance from their respective rear and side walls. So, mine are about 28 inches from the front of the speaker from the rear wall, and 42 inches from the side walls. I too have a similar room. There is no wall adjacent to my right front channel speaker. Haven't really noticed any problem with that though.

I can't use the formula that Ascend recommends unless I want to move my couch 5 feet closer to the speakers, or move the speakers out 5 feet wider. So, as usual, a compromise must be reached. The great room we have is 16 feet wide by 24 feet long.

Check the bottom of this thread page, you'll see what my room looks like.
Go here (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=815&page=4&pp=10)

jimsiff
05-12-2005, 05:12 PM
Lee, Curtis mentioned it before, but I love the "My Seat" designation. :D

dae3dae3
05-12-2005, 05:45 PM
I followed the formula in the manual and it sounds much better. I can't help but feel a little dirty reading the manual. It's almost like cheating. ;)

dae3dae3
05-12-2005, 05:48 PM
These speakers sure do image well. :D If I didn't have to worry about other people that are not sitting in the sweet spot I would send back my center channel and spend the money elsewhere in the system. It is pretty redundant from where I sit. I just notice a slight increase in volume when I turn it on.

shane55
05-12-2005, 11:24 PM
These speakers sure do image well. :D If I didn't have to worry about other people that are not sitting in the sweet spot I would send back my center channel and spend the money elsewhere in the system. It is pretty redundant from where I sit. I just notice a slight increase in volume when I turn it on.

Interesting... are you saying that with 'stereo' you get a lot of 'phantom center' chanel effect?

I'm curious, because that is exactly what I've been getting (obviously without using the center 340c). In the sweet spot I get a lot of sound which seems to come from directly between the speakers, as if it were mono. Dead-center imaging.

My speakers are also placed in accordance to the rules and regulations provided by the Ascent manual... well... with slight tweaks. ;)

shane

dae3dae3
05-13-2005, 04:41 AM
Yes, voices seem to come directly from the center of the screen if I have it in stereo. The effect collapses if you move off center but from my seat it is just about perfect.

shane55
05-13-2005, 09:23 AM
Indeed. :)

Glad to hear that impression. It was mine, and thought it may be a placement/imaging effect. For me it's not only 'voices' that are 'centered'.
I'll be playing around with it a bit today and get back with the results.

cheers!

shane