PDA

View Full Version : Harman Kardon 635 vs Pioneer VSX 1015TX

lmm
05-11-2005, 12:20 PM
I've been searching for a review comparing the Harmon Kardon AVR 635 to the Pioneer VSX 1015 TX. The seem to have similar features (component video switching, video upscaling, 7.1 channel or 5.1 channel + second zone, automatic room equalization).

The Pioneer is less expensive. Is it just a better bargain?

This is for when I get my Ascend speakers; ascend sells the HK.

jimsiff
05-11-2005, 12:24 PM
The 635 has some more bells and whistles. I read somewhere on AVS recently that the 635 EQ does a better job EQing the sub than the Pioneer MCACC. The 635 probably has lip sync delay, whereas the 1015 probably doesn't (1014 didn't). You'd have to do some in depth comparisons to flesh out the differences. I don't think you'd go wrong with either receiver. If price is an issue, the 1015 is a good deal.

lmm
05-11-2005, 09:20 PM
:p OK, I got anxious, and I went ahead and clicked the 'order' button. 340s front, 200s rear, STF-3, HK 635.

I'd been through the system advisor half a dozen times, nearly clicking 'order', before finally going through on impulse. As it was, I had to call up and change the order, once I re-measured my wall and realized that the 170s wouldn't fit where I wanted to put them.

Has anyone posted what they expect from the "special" on the HK 635? You can pick one out at PriceGrabber for 50-60 less (and even save on California state sales tax), but I do like having everything come at once, so I'm not tempted to hook up my new speakers with the old receiver or vice versa.

I even went to bluejeanscable and got a couple of runs of 12-gauge to replace the 18 AWG I've been using for my (now) dinky surrounds.

jojo
05-11-2005, 09:38 PM
congradulations on your purchase. i can;t wait till my one pair of 170's come. i also want hk435 keep post so we can hear your experiences

jimsiff
05-11-2005, 11:21 PM
Nice work. Give us your impressions when you've got everything dialed in.

bikeman
05-12-2005, 05:30 AM
:p OK, I got anxious, and I went ahead and clicked the 'order' button. 340s front, 200s rear, STF-3, HK 635.

I'd been through the system advisor half a dozen times, nearly clicking 'order', before finally going through on impulse. As it was, I had to call up and change the order, once I re-measured my wall and realized that the 170s wouldn't fit where I wanted to put them.

Has anyone posted what they expect from the "special" on the HK 635? You can pick one out at PriceGrabber for 50-60 less (and even save on California state sales tax), but I do like having everything come at once, so I'm not tempted to hook up my new speakers with the old receiver or vice versa.

I even went to bluejeanscable and got a couple of runs of 12-gauge to replace the 18 AWG I've been using for my (now) dinky surrounds.

Congrats. Hope you're feeling better a few days after the speakers arrive and can return to work. ;)

David

lmm
05-30-2005, 11:37 AM
I have my new system all set up; I worked out the rear mounts on the HTM-200s (can't angle 90 degrees, but enough), the 340 fronts fit nicely on my previous Sanus stands, the 340c fits into my (20-year-old particle-board) cabinet.

The sound was way better using the Ascends with my old Kenwood reciever, but the HK 635 brought it to another level. I'm really pleased with the sound for music and movies, as is my wife.

Changing the remote setup with my Harmony 680 remote wasn't hard at all...
except... I was having a lot of problem setting up the controls for the "second zone". (I have strong WAF requirements here. See thread over on 'remotecentral' (http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-harmony/thread.cgi?2189).) I was at the point where I was really thinking about returning the HK635, but ... finally solved the problem.