PDA

View Full Version : New Phrase

Highlife
05-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Why is it that, in the audio world, whenever someone decides to make a purchase and announces it on these type of forums, it is almost always referred to as "Pulling the trigger"? Is anyone else tired of seeing this phrase? Can we collectively come up with a new purchase catch phrase? Unless you are target shooting or hunting, pulling the trigger usually results in something bad. That has not been my experience after bagging a set of 340's!

Let's get creative and come up with something new!

Quinn
05-09-2005, 01:07 PM
Being proactive with a results oriented group using team playing and thinking outside the box we may be able to sift the paradigm on this issue. Lets just hope our synergy isn't thwarted by someone moving the cheese as that may lead to some negative growth. I'm not challenging your personal bandwith on this goal but have a dialogue here. Let's not micromanage the issue but address the bottom line.

Lee Bailey
05-09-2005, 01:10 PM
It's called 'pulling the trigger', because like a gun, once you fire off the money or the bullet, you can't put it back. Not always a bad thing, if what you are shooting for gets the results you wanted.

We could try 'Oh my God, what have I done now!'

or 'Maxed out my credit card today...'

jimsiff
05-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Hey! Who moved my cheese! :D

Highlife
05-09-2005, 01:18 PM
If that is true Lee, then it would not apply to an audio purchase, especially not with Ascend, as there is usually a money back guarantee period with most companies. On the other hand, it would make sense saying "I pulled the trigger on a new Corvette today" as there is no going back in this case.

I just thought it would be fun to hear some creative suggestions.

shane55
05-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Being proactive with a results oriented group using team playing and thinking outside the box we may be able to sift the paradigm on this issue. Lets just hope our synergy isn't thwarted by someone moving the cheese as that may lead to some negative growth. I'm not challenging your personal bandwith on this goal but have a dialogue here. Let's not micromanage the issue but address the bottom line.

You're HIRED! You must know what you're talking about.

The best corporate-speak-babble I've seen in a while. Nicely put.:D

How about "made the move"... or "shot my wad"... or "done the deed". (Gotta keep it to three words or less).
;)

cheers

shane

Quinn
05-09-2005, 02:27 PM
"Negative growth" is my favorite corporate cliche.

BradJudy
05-09-2005, 02:59 PM
'Pulled the trigger' isn't as bad as the 'drank the KoolAid' saying that some people use. That one just makes me shake my head about people not understanding the details of the origin of the phrase.

Lou-the-dog
05-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Actually I've never heard the term "drank the Kool-aid" before. If it refers to what I'm thinking then definitely there is no going back.

Here in the Midwest we say, "bought the farm."

Randy

Eddie Horton
05-09-2005, 05:26 PM
Doesn't "Drank the Kool-Aid" come from that Jim Jones cult guy? I've also heard it called "Shaved my head and drank the Kool-Aid". Now, that's funny. I don't care who you are, that's funny stuff.

BradJudy
05-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Doesn't "Drank the Kool-Aid" come from that Jim Jones cult guy?

Yes

Lee Bailey
05-09-2005, 10:35 PM
If that is true Lee, then it would not apply to an audio purchase, especially not with Ascend, as there is usually a money back guarantee period with most companies. On the other hand, it would make sense saying "I pulled the trigger on a new Corvette today" as there is no going back in this case.

I just thought it would be fun to hear some creative suggestions.

Once you've pulled the trigger on an audio purchase, you will usually lose some of the money on the return, especially in the case of internet only shopping.

There's also the follow-on products and upgrades that always seems to go on after the first outlay of cash.

I was trying to make some creative suggestions! :cool:

dae3dae3
05-10-2005, 05:04 AM
How about:

I chunked the pumpkin!

picasso
05-10-2005, 06:12 AM
I thought "Drank the Kool-Aid" preceded Jim Jones. I recall a book entitled "Electric KoolAid Acid Test" by Ken Kesey (sp?) Kesey was one of the fathers of LSD in the 60's.

Drank the Kool-Aid meant an LSD trip.

Highlife
05-10-2005, 08:08 AM
How about "Took one for the team". We all know the wife is gonna kick your arse when she finds out. So, you take one for the team so all of us audio junkies have something to talk about on this forum!

BradJudy
05-10-2005, 08:34 AM
While Kool-Aid has been known for many things, everyone I have seen use the expression thinks of it as refering to cult mentality. I'm sure some people think of it as meaning an acid trip, but that doesn't seem to be the dominate use of the phrase.

While Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test is about Kesey, it was written by Tom Wolfe.

shane55
05-10-2005, 08:35 AM
How about "Took one for the team". We all know the wife is gonna kick your arse when she finds out. So, you take one for the team so all of us audio junkies have something to talk about on this forum!

Ooo... high concept one here!
I like it, regardless of it's original intended meaning. ;)

shane

hopjohn
05-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Possibly even unconsciously people refer to it as "pulling the trigger" since you have to left click the mouse on the submit button to order, which does have some resemblance to pulling a trigger. I mean I know when I order something somewhat expensive online I always ask myself right before making that final click whether it be an auction or whatever, : "am I sure I want to do this?". Maybe I should be saying "Are you sure you want to do that punk?....go ahead make my day!".