PDA

View Full Version : bad email virus

curtis
05-09-2005, 11:04 AM
Since I work in I.T., I thought I should warn you all about a bad virus:

In general, what the virus does is collects email address from many different sources....many different types of files, not just an email address book. It creates its own mailserver(smtp), takes one of the email addresses it found and places it in the "from" field, and mails copies of itself to many of the other addresses it has found. On top of that, it disables Symantec Anti-virus's ability to update itself. It does not destroy data on the PC. It may look like the mail is coming from someone you know, but it is not.

Also, the email that the virus sends is deceptive and actually says it has been scanned and is virus free:
Attachment-Scanner: Status OK
AntiVirus: No Virus found
Server-AntiVirus: No Virus (Clean)
http:/ / www.[random domain]

This is NOT the case!!

The attachment may be one of the following:
our_secret.zip
mail_info.zip
error-mail_info.zip
account_info.zip
account_info-text.zip

Never open an attachment unless you know who it is from and why it was sent to you.

You can read a more detailed description of the virus here:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sober.o@mm.html

jimsiff
05-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Heh... that virus infiltrated our mail servers this morning. The postmaster group had to shut down the mail servers until McAfee gave them the updates to clear the virus.

I work in IT as well... I'm generically known as a network guy. :D Official title is Network Analyst, but that's too formal for the real world. Keep that in my HR file, lol. I help manage and maintain the LAN/WAN & VPN infrastructure at my company. I primarily focus on remote access, firewalls, security and assist with routers and switches.

What do you do in IT?

curtis
05-09-2005, 12:33 PM
I manage guys like you. :D

I.T. manager for a small company here in California.....desktops, servers, and network.......

We only had a couple of machines with the virus....not a big deal. The PIA part is keeping the panic down.

jimsiff
05-09-2005, 12:43 PM
:D

We're in transition in our dept. My boss is retiring next month and they're bringing in a replacement from the outside. It should be interesting. He seems like a nice guy, but the acid test will be integrating into our corporate culture. I'm the new guy in the department with 5 years under my belt. Everybody else averages somewhere between 20 and 25 years in. :eek: :eek: That's almost unheard of in IT, lol.

curtis
05-09-2005, 01:06 PM
I have been here for 5.5 years. My understanding is the average IT turnover is about 2-3 years. That has been my experience as well...especially with smaller companies, there is no growth. In the last year, I have had two of my best guys leave.....I was happy for them, but sad for me.

metalaaron
05-09-2005, 05:00 PM
i agree on the panic involved. user education can be difficult when dealing with these things. the worst case is when someone sends out a chain mail at work, then telling everyone it's wrong, and reminding them of the acceptable internet use policy. the most interesting outbreaks i've seen lately have been through messaging services like AIM, etc. so many users don't understand they are at risk through those programs, but so many of them don't understand the DO's and DONT's that can put you at risk. a hyperlink is a like a big red button for a lot of people. it's hard for some not to click it. ;)