PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Choosing my 6.1 System!!

battlefrog
05-09-2005, 05:07 AM
These are the packages that I am thinking of. Please let me know if anyone has heard both of these systems and which one you would go with.

CBM-170s Front/Left
CMT-340 Center
HTM-200s Back surround and Center
HTF-2 Sub
-Total: $1298

CBM-170s ALL AROUND
HTF-2 Sub
-Total $1278

As you can see, these two packages are very similar in price. I'm not sure which would be better though. Going with the CMT-340 Center for a strong front with a weaker back, or go with the CBM-170s for all around uniformity and quality.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Battlefrog

LampCord
05-09-2005, 07:47 AM
Personally, I think I would lean towards the first system.

It should be better for HT since the center channel is so important and the two systems should be a push for music since you have the same fronts / sub either way.

bikeman
05-09-2005, 08:58 AM
Personally, I think I would lean towards the first system.

It should be better for HT since the center channel is so important and the two systems should be a push for music since you have the same fronts / sub either way.

I'm with Lamp on this one.

David

s2pdname
05-09-2005, 08:58 AM
Going with the CMT-340 Center for a strong front with a weaker back, or go with the CBM-170s for all around uniformity and quality.Battlefrog

I think you have pretty much outlined the differences already. I also was considering both of these configurations. Because of room/placement considerations for the surrounds, I decided on system #1. We also use the surround system for movies more often than music (about 70/30), so having perfect uniformity for the surround speakers was not quite as important as someone who may spend most of their time listening to music in a surround setting. Nicholas Mosher did a great review of the system you have outlined as #2 (sans sub).

I don't think you'll be dissatisfied with either choice.

Rich

jojo
05-09-2005, 05:03 PM
i agree with these guys. you can always upgrade later on. so if you want a pair of 340 for the fronts you can move the 170 to the rear and the one pair of 200s could be music speakers in another setup

Lou-the-dog
05-09-2005, 06:54 PM
Unless you are going to indulge heavily into multi-channel music I would have to concur...system 1. 90% or more of the sound presented will be thru your front end so spend your dollars there. I have not heard the 200's but understand they are a very able speaker and PLENTY for surround duty.

Randy

battlefrog
05-18-2005, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! I think I WILL go with package #1. We just sold our house and my wife said she'd get me the system for fathers day :-) I'm not quiet happy as a clam...but I'm getting close :-)

s2pdname
05-18-2005, 07:57 AM
I'm sure that you will be happy (probably to the point of clam-ness) with your decision. Remember, you have to try to rip yourself away from listening to your system once in a while to provide reviews and updates for us. :)

BGHD
05-20-2005, 12:47 PM
Agree w/ 1 too. When I spoke w/ David F regarding a mixed HT/music setup, he recommended the 340C over the 170 as a center almost w/o hesitation. Plus, the 200s are plenty good as surrounds (some even say too good). Don't wait til Fathers Day...get them NOW!

battlefrog
06-16-2005, 03:36 PM
Hey all! Thanks for the advice! I went with option 1. I just ordered night before last. I can't wait until they come in. Now, for the next step. This is my first HT system. I'm looking for a good guide on how to set the system up. My family room is a medium sized rectangular room. Also, can someone please suggest the right set of speaker cables for my new system? I can't believe that just "any old cables" will do the trick. One last thing. I've heard that I should buy some type of 1" thick rubber matting to put under the sub so that it creates the best sound. Any input on that? Thanks again everyone, and David, ship those speakers!!!! :D

Battlefrog

Fredericksburg, VA

P.S. I'll provide some reviews after I get the system set up and I can be pulled away from them.

Lou-the-dog
06-16-2005, 03:59 PM
VERY nice system, congrats! As far as speaker wire I use the 12ga SoundKing stuff from Parts Express...it's really all you'll need. Talk to James or Davef also as they sell double twisted pair wire that would be great too. I believe Hsu recommends their subs to be placed on carpet. You really won't need the mat if you are placing on carpet. Enjoy and definitely give us an update.

Randy

BGHD
06-16-2005, 04:11 PM
-You'll get a pretty thorough Setup Guide from Ascend.
-I believe DaveF recommends at least 14g for wire.
-Hsu will also include a setup guide, but the 'throw rug' is only needed if you have hardwood or other non-carpeted flooring (for sound and to protect from the metal spiked feet).

bikeman
06-16-2005, 04:17 PM
VERY nice system, congrats! As far as speaker wire I use the 12ga SoundKing stuff from Parts Express...it's really all you'll need.
Randy

I use SK 12ga as well.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=100-155

It's very pliable and works great for running down the heat duct, through the basement and up through the air return to the surround speakers. The only reason that I'm aware of to buy more expensive cables is for cosmetic purposes. They usually look better and if they're in a noticeable area, that counts for something. How much is up to you.

David