PDA

View Full Version : Intro...........

soundfreak38
05-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Hello forum members. Please allow me to introduce myself--my name is Phil. As one can tell by my prior submissions, I have been trying to learn more about Ascend. The reason being, I am on a journey so to speak of obtaining the absolute best speaker I can for my hard earned money. However, I like many, do not have an endless supply of money. Just look at what equipment I have now. This was my first purchase you might say.
I guess I am not happy with my fronts. Don't take me wrong, they are okay. The reason I have what I have is that I have a good friend that works in a place that carries both Yamaha and Paradigm as well as MTX. I am very happy with my yammie and my Titans. But, I am planning on replacing my fronts and center as soon as possible. My sub is just awesome and I hope to add another for better balance-you know less standing waves. I will use my Titans for surrounds for now but changes with respect to my front stage is paramount.
It is here where the problem lies. You see, I can get a really good deal on Paradigm speakers because of my friend. While demoing the Paradigm I got the chance to hear B&W 602 S3 and all I can say is WOW!!! It is kinda hard how to describe how they sounded but to me they were very laid back, detailed, and neutral. Not boomy but incredibly accurate. Then I find out that the place my friend works at is no longer selling them. I wanted to buy the demos but one of them had some damage and I was bummed out. So, I got to demo the Paradigm speakers. Once again, I was very impressed especially with the Studio 20's and 40's. However, they are out of my price range even with my discount. Hence, that is how I ended up with the CC-170 and the Titans. They both are very good for what they are but I wished I had bought the CC-370 and the Mini's or the Monitor 3's instead. IMHO, the mini's and the monitor 3's are just awesome. As a result, my plans are to go with the 3's for my fronts, CC-370 for my center, and the mini's for my rears. Then use my Titans as rear surrounds to make 7.1.
Then, I came across the CBM-170. All the reviews about the 170 is just amazing. Many compare it to the Studio 20 except is it much more affordable. I can get a pair of Monitor 3's for about the same as the 170's. So, can you see why I am at a stand still? The new Monitor 3's v.4 (and the mini's)have just been upgraded too which make my descision even more difficult. The good thing is it will be awhile until I have enough cash to be able to make the switch and that is why I am researching this as agressively/thoroughly as I have been.
If the 170's are as good or nearly as good as the 20's then I would consider this a no brainer. However, I do not have the money or time to be ordering speakers then sending them back if I don't like them. This is why I am trying to find an Ascend owner in the Western Kentucky/ Southwestern Indiana area or 270/812 area code prefix that would allow me a demo. Are you out there? I will be waiting...............??? Thank you for your time.
Phil

PS Please keep in mind that my preference is on music but I do want to have that home theater effect. I just dont listen to music in 5.1 format such as SACD/DVD-Audio, and etc.

jojo
05-08-2005, 09:01 PM
What is going on sound freak. well i hear you and been there. thats how i was able to get the klipsch i have now. When i went to a place that sells paradigms in my area the cheapes were the mini monitors. they sounded excelent to me,especially when compared to my speakers.
The ascend line is to me a very pure sounded speaker. I A/b'ed my klipsch with the ascends and the ascends are everyting i want. no muddy bass, no bright harsh highs. all the reviews you have read about these speakers are true. even my wife notice the difference. she always ask me when the speakers are coming.
the creator of these speakers use to work for a company i wont name, because he says it brings bad memories. but the company is a favorite with lucasfilm. Any way i think bass extension is over rated, i mean thats what the sub is for.
if you take in the mark up value the manufature pose then you see a speaker that cost about $1000 might have been made for $300 so there is a tremendous bang for the buck.
plus you dont have to worry about the speaker changing, so you can build your system as your money grows