PDA

View Full Version : Break-in

chas
05-08-2005, 04:00 PM
Does Ascend recommend a certain break-in time? Has anyone noticed a difference in performance after putting some hours on their Ascends?

bikeman
05-08-2005, 05:30 PM
Does Ascend recommend a certain break-in time? Has anyone noticed a difference in performance after putting some hours on their Ascends?

I don't believe in "break-in." Therefore, I'm not going to hear a difference. My 340's were great right out of the box and things haven't changed.

David

Quinn
05-08-2005, 07:22 PM
Dave F. told me 5 hours was about it on a pair of 340s.

It likely varies with driver material. As I understand it aerogel pretty well stays as it is. I took another company's sub to a GTG(get together/gather) and they requested 50 hours on the driver before listening was done.

Lou-the-dog
05-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Since drivers are mechanical in nature I tend to believe in some break-in. It might be all in my head but it seems like I did notice "things" to open up after a few hours...or maybe it was a "few" beers. :D

Randy

jojo
05-08-2005, 08:42 PM

As soon as my pair of 170s arrive i will post a detail review and see if there is a true burnin time

shane55
05-08-2005, 11:12 PM
I believe Dave is correct. In the time I've had my 170's (and even the 340c), I've noticed a subtle change in their sound. It may be easy to dismiss this as me 'getting used to them', but since I have been listening to 3 different speaker systems on-and-off for the past 3 days... I doubt it.

The other thing is that one of the speaker systems I've been listening to (my older Energy's) are already *way* broken in. So no change there. All the while, I am switching back and forth from the Energys as my 'constant', so my reference point remains the same.

As the PSB's 'broke in', I actually liked them less. As the Ascends 'broke in', I found them to sound much better. They seemed to gain some of the warmth that was initially missing. Still remaining fiercely 'neutral', they sound a bit more fluid.

Caveat... the ears are directly attached to the brain. The brain interprets every signal sent to it by the ear. The brain could be imagining everything said in the above statements. But I truly believe every word. ;)

cheers

shane

bikeman
05-09-2005, 04:37 AM
Caveat... the ears are directly attached to the brain. The brain interprets every signal sent to it by the ear. The brain could be imagining everything said in the above statements. But I truly believe every word. ;)
shane

When we hear change, there is change. We're not imagining it. The mistake comes in assigning the change to a particular piece of the chain.
Our hearing, although limited, is very adaptive. Speakers on the other hand are easy to measure with the right equipment so if it were the speakers changing, we could detect it. I haven't seen that data published.

David