PDA

View Full Version : dts CDs

Cliff_L
10-13-2003, 01:51 AM
Could someone maybe post a FAQ clarifying the differences btw DVD-Audio vs. SACD vs DTS/DD5.1 CDs? I realize you need a DVD-Audio or SACD player to play those discs, but the ones coming out saying DTS/DD5.1 (DVD compatible) - does that mean I could play them in any DVD player? Is it essentially a DVD w/only an audio track? And maybe list the pros/cons of each type of media?

curtis
10-13-2003, 02:42 AM
Ben,
My experience with DTS 5.1 vs SACD/DVD-A is that the hi-rez stuff does sound better with more clarity and cleaner. The DTS stuff does sound great, but if I had a choice betweent he two I would choose a hi-rez format. I actually have the Police Greatest hits on SACD....it is great.

Cliff,
Here is a good read on the hi-rez formats:
http://www.hometheatermag.com/hirezaudio/

-curtis

azanon
12-11-2003, 11:58 PM
I have the Eagles, Hell Freezes Over DVD concert recorded in DTS. It is wonderful.

Ben_Wood
12-12-2003, 06:22 AM
Yes, HFO is one of my favorites also. It's a must-have for it's dts soundtrack. (In fact I always use the dts track when I have the choice, but thats another can of worms!). Anyway I should have been more clear with my original question, I was really asking about the dts cds (audio-no video) vs. DVD-A. BTW, "In the City" is my favorite cut off of HFO.

azanon
02-11-2004, 09:28 PM
I wish SACD/DVD-A would just die. Though i havent heard true SACD/DVD-A yet, if you ask me DTS sounds wonderful and it uses a digital connection (unlike DVD-A/SACD). Does anyone know how just regular DTS 5.1, or Neo 6 compares to SACD/DVD-A? If the latter is significantly better than DTS, i'll go a SACD/DVD-A player right now cause DTS rocks.

Ben_Wood
02-11-2004, 11:20 PM
From my experience SACD/DVD-A is better, but not significantly so.

BillS
02-12-2004, 12:51 AM
Hi All!

This is my first post but I have been "lurking" for many month now. As Curtis has said, SACD/DVD is cleaner and detailed. I myself have DVD Audio capability and prefer the Analog DVD-A over Digital DTS or Dolby Digital at every chance. It is really that much better. I also have Acend CMT-340 L/C/R and CBM-170 as back surrounds with a HSU VFT-3 subwoofer (much like Curtis' speaker setup). I just wanted to chime in and add my 2 cents worth. I have learned a great deal from Acsend Forum Members and am happy to be a part of the Family.

Greetings from Central Florida!

Ben_Wood
02-12-2004, 12:59 AM
Welcome Bill!

What are some of your favorite DVD-As? (hopefully rock!) What player do you run? I'm a little ways north of you (central AL) nice to see someone else on the forum from the southeast.

Derek
02-12-2004, 01:07 AM
Hi Bill,

Welcome! I noticed that you are from central fla. I am currently building a house in central florida and can't wait to move there from new england. Maybe we will be neighbors... [:)]

I don't want to hijack this thread, so how does one play a dts cd? I'm guessing you use a dvd player. Does it play in all dvd players?

Derek

curtis
02-12-2004, 01:26 AM
First....Welcome Bill! I'm with you, I do prefer the SACD/DVD-A stuff over the DTS or DD5.1 music discs.

Derek, you can play DTS DVD's just like a DVD that has a movie with a DTS soundtrack. If your DVD player can decode DTS(most do now) or receiver, you are good to go.

-curtis

Derek
02-12-2004, 01:29 AM
Thanks curtis. That is what I figured. So, how many dts cds are there out there? Do the dts cds also play in normal cd players? (obviously without the multi-channels).

Derek

curtis
02-12-2004, 01:37 AM
DTS is found on DVD discs, not CDs, and because they are DVDs, they will not play on regular CD players.

You can find of list of DTS music discs here http://www.dtsentertainment.com/ They list DTS as "5.1" discs, and there is also a listing for DVD-Audio discs as well.

I have a friend that recently got a job with DTS. He promised me a "swag" bag.

-curtis

Derek
02-12-2004, 01:49 AM
Aaah, so they are not really cds! Now I understand.

Tell you friend to keep his "swag bag" to himself! [:D]

Allen42
09-24-2004, 01:45 AM
My Pioneer 578 DVD player says "CD" when I put in my Eagles's HFO. The case doesn't say DVD anywhere on it. Both the DVD player and my Onkyo switch to DTS when I hit play, and the info screen on the DVD player indicates that it's a CD.

The reason I point this all out is that my Floyd DSOM clearly comes up as "SACD" and my Metallica Black clearly indicates DVD-A, with a DTS alternative track.

So what is this DTS-CD format that HFO is using?

Also, why do I still get 5.1 surround when playing the DTS tracks, but have the Onkyo set to MultiChannel inputs?